real time web analytics
Report - - Stockton Globe Theatre - May 2015 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stockton Globe Theatre - May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DubExplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History From Wikipedia:
The Globe is a redundant Grade II listed Art Deco theatre, in Stockton-on-Tees, England which is currently undergoing restoration work.
Situated at the north-western end of High Street, the original Globe Theatre was built in 1913 and was Teesside's first purpose-built cinema. Demolished in 1925, it was first rebuilt in 1926, when it showed the area's first talkies. It was rebuilt again, still on the same site in 1935, designed as a leading variety theatre but also including cinema facilities and seating for 2,372 people. The Globe regularly hosted stage shows with national companies. In 1938, it became an ABC cinema but live performances continued including an annual pantomime, ballet and West End shows.
Between the 1950s and 1970s, the Globe was a premier venue hosting many famous acts, such as Buddy Holly, the Platters, Guy Mitchell, the Rolling Stones, the Animals, Cilla Black, Carl Perkins and Chuck Berry. The Beatles twice played at the Globe, the first time being Friday 22 November 1963, the day U.S. President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. The Globe has hosted other stars, such as Cliff Richard, the Shadows and Lonnie Donegan, who made their acting debuts here in pantomime. Cliff Richard and the Shadows composed their "Stars Fell on Stockton" (B-side to "Wonderful Land") here and much of the music for the Cliff Richard film Summer Holiday whilst taking part in pantomime at the Globe. As late as the 1970s, bands such as Mud, Showaddywaddy and the Bay City Rollers played here.
Whilst the theatre played host to these famous bands, it was also a cinema and showed the very first 3D film in the region, House of Wax in 1953. The last film was The Sting, on 15 June 1974. Status Quo were the final rock band to play there in December 1974, but the very last show was on 5 February 1975 when the London Philharmonic Orchestra staged a concert. The doors of the Globe closed only to re-open as a bingo venue for a few years until closing for good in 1997. There had been several plans to reopen the venue in recent years, including a plan in 2002 to transform it into a nightclub, but none were realised until it was announced in 2010 that the building would be restored to its former glory at a cost of £4M, and will reopen as venue for music, comedy and other events.
Many of the original ornamental features have survived and the Theatres Trust described the Grade II-listed building as "an excellent example of its kind" and had it as one of 68 buildings on its 'at risk' register. Restoration work is currently being overseen by English Heritage to maintain its Art Deco character and it is expected to reopen in 2017. It’s estimated that 82,500 people will visit the Globe each year and will spend around £2.5M in the town centre.

Our Visit was a lot easier than expected, although the majority of floorboards are crumbling away so careful footing was a major buzz killer, but even with that was a great explore of such an old building. it is said that the building will be reopened in 2017 but I highly doubt that as they are putting across to the public that it is nearly ready to just walk in now.... it is far from.

DSC_0014_zpsh2uxn091.jpg

DSC_0021_zpssj4fxiau.jpg

DSC_0025_zpskke28sip.jpg

DSC_0026_zpsutn14ibf.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsmrtnsjon.jpg

DSC_0030_zpsufiq7ksg.jpg

DSC_0034_zpsll0fhs3r.jpg

DSC_0037_zps3jlph5v6.jpg

DSC_0040_zpsgxyu6koi.jpg

DSC_0041_zpsmc8eyqoj.jpg

DSC_0050_zpsiq6t6unh.jpg

DSC_0052_zpst76snhkp.jpg

DSC_0055_zpswb6pcffw.jpg

DSC_0058_zpsoczqwfob.jpg

DSC_0066_zps6a5jgjuz.jpg

DSC_0069_zpsxvgcimco.jpg

DSC_0073_zpskikttdih.jpg

DSC_0076_zpsupdzruyh.jpg

DSC_0077_zpswuayr9pd.jpg

DSC_0079_zpseo1jibsr.jpg

Visited with @dubgav14 & @AR_UK

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate :thumb

Another one i always forget about when i"m up that end DOH! although it does not come with the same amount of peril as Durham Palladium lol

DubExplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate :thumb

Another one i always forget about when i"m up that end DOH! although it does not come with the same amount of peril as Durham Palladium lol

Cheers Acid, we had a venture over to Durham the other week with a group who had been there before and all access seams to be locked up but really would love an explore there.

smashin pal , looks a good explore

Cheer Mate :thumb

DubExplore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I could imagine they would make everything so much more exiting lmao, if you got any recent info would appreciate a PM :thumb

Quicksand

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've tried at least three times to get in to the Globe but without success, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've tried at least three times to get in to the Globe but without success, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong

Obviously ;)

Maybe your username is holding you back ;)

But you won"t / shouldn"t get access details on an open Public Forum even if you obviously need them :D You could be anyone ?

Quicksand

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Point taken, although I am not just anyone and not asking how to break into locations, I just need to get out more with my camera and prove you the membership on here that I am a genuine person and not a unknown.