real time web analytics
Report - - Stone House Hospital, Kent - October 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stone House Hospital, Kent - October 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

chrisr86

Clumsy oaf
28DL Full Member
It's been so long since I explored something worth reporting, so I'm very happy to have got into Stone House recently with Olz9181, Robbiekhan and Greenwing Hero.

Everyone knows it already, so here's some history ripped from Wikipedia:

Stone House Hospital, formerly the City of London Lunatic Asylum, was a hospital and former mental illness treatment facility in Stone, near Dartford, Kent, in the United Kingdom. As of November, 2007 the hospital has been closed, and bids have been taken for its redevelopment to house luxury flats.

Stone House was originally constructed between 1862 and 1866 at the behest of the London Commissioners in Lunacy to provide for pauper lunatics from the London area at a cost of £65,000. The buildings were designed in a Tudor Revival architecture style by James Bunstone Bunning, and the facility accommodated 220 patients. The asylum grounds, at first 33 acres (130,000 m2) and later expanded to 140 acres (0.57 km2), included a working farm. Additions to the original buildings were made in 1874, 1878, and 1885, including an expanded female wing and a separate hospital building for patients with infectious diseases

More can be found here (as always): CountyAsylums.com is for sale | HugeDomains

There were a couple of near-misses/dramas with security, but our ninja skills ensured we (probably) avoided detection. Go Team Portsmouth :D Sadly some of my shots didn't turn out that great so I've gathered just a handful here.

Lots and lots of empty corridors are the order of the day. However it's a bit less decayed than other asylums, which helps to make it stand out in it's own right.

DSC_0760.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

There's the odd object here and there, giving an insight into life when it was active.

DSC_0747.jpg

Ah, the stage upstairs. Two pianos. Two! I was itching to bang out a bit of Pavane by G Fauré or something similar but drawing attention to ourselves would probably be inadvisable. Lame :p

DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0744.jpg

DSC_0745.jpg

The hall downstairs was pretty impressive. Would be interesting to see it in it's heyday.

DSC_0757.jpg

There are workers' lights on in various parts though, so we proceeded with caution.

DSC_0753.jpg

Asbestos removal is going on in various parts, which made navigation... interesting! Still no water tower access sadly.

Aaaaaand I'm out. Farewell Stone House. You were fun!

DSC_0761.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details