real time web analytics
Report - - Stone House Mansion, Ulverston, October 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stone House Mansion, Ulverston, October 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Whilst on an afternoon country drive around here and checking out another venue, I decided to call into this place seeing as I was in the area.. Ended up spending a couple of hours on a solo explore.

After coming back home and doing some research (and also realising, which I had suspected, that it was indeed well documented on here previously) what I found seemed quite sad in that the place sounded fantastic when it was in its heyday but do to vandalism and a fire it really is tragic how this lovely building has been left to rot..

Stone Cross Mansion, built by Myles Kennedy in 1874 is a Gothic/ Scottish Baronial style building, and its central hall (which I spent a lot of time in/around/above and under.. as you do..:) ) looks like it would have been quite something before it was stripped of its arched paintings, which apparently depicted a scene from ‘Sleeping Beauty’ but using members of the Kennedy family.
These are now gone… as is much of everything else unfortunately, but it still made for a nice afternoon wander around. Actually, looking through the pics and choosing which to upload (I didn’t take many), it looks like I really did spend most of my time either in the hall or on the roof.
I found an old newspaper report of the fire here: -
http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/ulver...wing_suspicious_1_493123?referrerPath=/2.3208

And here's my take of the place..

Exterior pictures

261afd06.jpg

5738477d.jpg

42a79218.jpg

Interiors

81cbbe5d.jpg

d49ba524.jpg

fcf2270a.jpg

076eac0f.jpg

8110bf04.jpg
fa219c15.jpg

efc1cd72.jpg

0b52817b.jpg

From the roof

be13ae10.jpg

9473f3f4.jpg
57793868.jpg

8eb02a5f.jpg

Cat
:)

Keynsham

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I am so pleased to see the place still standing. Thought it would be full of dry rot and no roof by now.
Have they not started work yet?
Rabies_zpspvafpoju.png

Poor bloke had to sell his otterhounds because they had killed all the otters, then his foxhounds go down with rabies.