real time web analytics
Report - - stoop , scoop ,soop sheffield 7.9.19 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - stoop , scoop ,soop sheffield 7.9.19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
following up yet again on another brill report from tarky we decided to check out this the culverted section of the bagley dyke before it enters in to the river don , The 3 of us got down to the start point for about 7.15 and entered the drain without any attention

the first bit is a stoop hence the thread tittle but it soon opens up

looking downstream and out of the stoop ( for now ) we then carried on until the culvert splits in to 2 and changes to blue brickwork
through the left hand tunnel and then the roof came really low down thankfully this diddnt last to long as it was very uncomfortable

just past the concrete scoop a metal archway possible strengthening works

the penstock underneath the scoop this is deffo the overflow for the culvert

had a climb down inside as to see where this went nothing ventured nothing gained , looking back towards the penstock

I could not believe what i found next ! the others stayed above the scoop so checked this out on my own it was a 3 level manhole chamber about 5 meters in diameter with ladders

a drainage hole you could quite easily slip down to your death !

having gone all way down to the bottom of the ladders it became clear there is another big explore down here the next picture is looking upstream up the RCP pipe

the next pic is looking downstream i could hear running water it sounded like a waterfall ahead but this ones for another time

looking upwards from the bottom of the shaft this has been my most impressive find to date

after this it was back up the ladder ( which was caked in shit ) and back out the penstock and on with the original explore

we could hear running water ahead so we new we must be getting near the waterfall

the steps from the manhole we used to climb down the waterfall you can see how deep we were underground

from then on the water got deeper and the explore got harder

we kept going further the water at times up to your thighs the tunnel then split in to 2 we haddnt expected that this next pic shows the tunnel we diddnt go down

we went down the tunnel to the right however the pic i took diddnt come out as you can see there was a fair bit of crap here , the left hand tunnel was concrete and diddnt look as attractive as the right hand tunnel which was cleaner and brickwork ,

this went on for a short while before the 2 tunnels joined back up again this next pic shows the T junction

this next pic looks to the left and shows the other tunnel before it meets the T junction

back to the the explore the next pic shows a rust mineral coating just past the T junction

the brickwork tunnel had now had a concrete spray coat and a new manhole inserted above

moving on a bit further the tunnel again split in to 2

conditions got really tuff past this point the water became waist deep and there was only a couple of feet from the top of the water to the roof

looking back the 2 tunnels become 1 again

you can see on the last photo how low the headroom got also there was a lot of oil in the water it was the worst conditions i have ever encountered ! there was a square box in front of us next with a handrail around it we managed to squeeze down the side as i dread to think how deep the water was there

slipping back in to the water it was waist high but it reduced almost straight away to a ankle depth not sure what purpose this box section served ? The drain went back to 2 tunnels once more but only for a short while it then merged in to 1 tunnel this didnt go on a lot further before we came to the drain flap on the don

especially for WB ! We then wrestled our way out and walked back to the van and went home and got degreased with washing up liquid ! thanks for watching a bit pic heavy i know but there was a lot to see and there still is a lot more as well

Last edited:

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I believe we only went to the first waterfall on our visit but we knew the outfall was by Meadowhall Rd. under the rail bridge. We waded over the river once when checking out the Carr Brook outfall on the opposite side, but it was sealed.

As for following that penstock, you may or may not have stumbled across something we're still working on ;-)

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
c
I believe we only went to the first waterfall on our visit but we knew the outfall was by Meadowhall Rd. under the rail bridge. We waded over the river once when checking out the Carr Brook outfall on the opposite side, but it was sealed.

As for following that penstock, you may or may not have stumbled across something we're still working on ;-)
congratulations on getting half way through there is a lot more to still see

Last edited:

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
Jesus Christ that last bit looks grim! Respect for getting all the way to the end though. Could you open the flap once you got there?

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Is the green box on the right in the first picture for measuring/monitoring flow for the environment agency?

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Jesus Christ that last bit looks grim! Respect for getting all the way to the end though. Could you open the flap once you got there?
ha ha thought you might like that last pic ! yes checked it out before we went down to make sure we could get out

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
there was a solar panel on top of it to power it

Yes, I see it on a closer look.Probably power for the box which records or relays information back to the EA on the amount of times the flooding occurs, and flow depth/speed and so on, it looks like there is a small conduit that goes down below the grille from the green box?

Who has read this thread (Total: 179) View details