real time web analytics
Question - - Storage and organisation for photos & videos | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Storage and organisation for photos & videos

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Where do you store your treasured and not so treasured photos etc. and do you have anyway to organise them that works?
I’m finding I’m amassing quite a large collection of photos on my iPhone and backed up in the cloud. I’ve also got a drone recently which is eating up storage fast too and I’ve also got a Go Pro that I copy videos from onto a below average older laptop.
I don’t know about you guys but I find i sleep easier when I physically can see where my photos are stored, maybe it’s because I come from a generation where you had to go to Max Spielman to get your photos developed and then they’d sit in a little pouch for evermore!
I get the idea of the cloud but I believe that if you delete a photo off your phone it’s deleted off the cloud forever which is a bit unnerving!
I’ve used flash drives before and have more trust in them but again I’m nervous that I might find in X number of years time it’s all inaccessible.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
After losing a bunch of photos and video footage over the years - thankfully nothing exploring related - my photos are double backed up now. Firstly on an external hard drive, secondly on Amazon photos (unlimited storage free with a prime account), thirdly on Flickr (resized versions only).

Flash drives can fail, external hard drives can fail (as happened to me), the only truly safe place I've found to put all my full size photos where I know the chances of anything happening to them is slim, is Amazon Photos.

Andrew32

See a sticker, remove a sticker
28DL Full Member
Amazon photos for cloud storage
My big tower pc has a separate 10tb drive specifically for storing bulk photos and videos
I was using a NAS for a while too, but that's now for media server purposes.

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After losing a bunch of photos and video footage over the years - thankfully nothing exploring related - my photos are double backed up now. Firstly on an external hard drive, secondly on Amazon photos (unlimited storage free with a prime account), thirdly on Flickr (resized versions only).

Flash drives can fail, external hard drives can fail (as happened to me), the only truly safe place I've found to put all my full size photos where I know the chances of anything happening to them is slim, is Amazon Photos.

Ive got Amazon prime, didn’t know it had storage so I’ll look at that. Otherwise might be, as you say, double or triple backing them up!!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
2 x 2tb external drives for me, I make absolutely sure I copy to both now after one failed & I lost a lot of pics.
I folder every explore up & change the folder icon to red for ones I havent posted so its easy to look through drive & see what I havent posted.
Problem I have is naming them, I try to use proper name of files but some I dont know so have called them stuff like "Liverpool house" but then can be a nightmare finding stuff sometimes

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
2 x 2tb external drives for me, I make absolutely sure I copy to both now after one failed & I lost a lot of pics.
I folder every explore up & change the folder icon to red for ones I havent posted so its easy to look through drive & see what I havent posted.
Problem I have is naming them, I try to use proper name of files but some I dont know so have called them stuff like "Liverpool house" but then can be a nightmare finding stuff sometimes
All these Liverpool derps cause so many issues ;)
deffo got to double up on backups…..too risky not to!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
All these Liverpool derps cause so many issues ;)
deffo got to double up on backups…..too risky not to!
Yeah my drive went down & I was lazy & only had some backed up.
Fortunately I had all my urbex pics, but lost a lot of wildlife pics stc.
I do have about 70k pics stored so it's hard to keep track of veverything

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah my drive went down & I was lazy & only had some backed up.
Fortunately I had all my urbex pics, but lost a lot of wildlife pics stc.
I do have about 70k pics stored so it's hard to keep track of veverything
WOW, guess that’ll be your hobby when your retired, digging through them all!