Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Storm Drain - Prittlewell Brook, Belfairs, Essex | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Storm Drain - Prittlewell Brook, Belfairs, Essex

Methwold Resident

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
About 35 years ago we used to clamber down via a chain a storm drain in Belfairs Park in Essex. The drain used to run under a large chunk of Prittlewell Brook. We only used to go about 500 feet along the drain. It is located just off Eastwood Road. The entrance can be seen just north of Foxwood Place in Leigh-on-Sea. https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=foxwood+place,+belfairs&rlz=1C1CHMO_en-GBGB559GB559&es_sm=93&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=Q1MwVIKGFsjtaJrggYgJ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

We used to emerge via another storm drain and squeeze through some bent and broken bars. This was 35 or so years ago when we used to play down there as kids so no idea what it is like now - might be worth an explore.

slayaaaa

28DL Regular User
Regular User
About 35 years ago we used to clamber down via a chain a storm drain in Belfairs Park in Essex. The drain used to run under a large chunk of Prittlewell Brook. We only used to go about 500 feet along the drain. It is located just off Eastwood Road. The entrance can be seen just north of Foxwood Place in Leigh-on-Sea. https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=foxwood+place,+belfairs&rlz=1C1CHMO_en-GBGB559GB559&es_sm=93&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=Q1MwVIKGFsjtaJrggYgJ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

We used to emerge via another storm drain and squeeze through some bent and broken bars. This was 35 or so years ago when we used to play down there as kids so no idea what it is like now - might be worth an explore.
You should give it another go and do a report :thumb

Methwold Resident

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That link goes to a Foxwood place in Cardiff, is this what you meant? http://goo.gl/maps/R5myv
Yes it is - copied wrong link :(

There used to be a massive chain from the top to the bottom with chains across so it was like a massive chain ladder. There was a rumour of a hidden secret room somewhere down there but we could never find it :) I remember when I was about 14 or 15 the entire length of the storm drain was dug up and rebuilt but never went back to see what the new drain looked like.

DE-eVOLVED SS3

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If anyone is still active on this thread..?.. ya wanna come with ..? :..as gunna go this weekend if anyones up for it..?..

lpphevs

Wasteland Wanderer
28DL Full Member
Never knew about this - so was this a separate drain to the Prittle Brook, or is it part of it/an offshoot? And sounds like it was substantially more underground as most of the Prittle Brook is open except for a few road bridges (from what I've found so far)

DE-eVOLVED SS3

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never knew about this - so was this a separate drain to the Prittle Brook, or is it part of it/an offshoot? And sounds like it was substantially more underground as most of the Prittle Brook is open except for a few road bridges (from what I've found so far)
From what I can gather its separate I think...as I walked the prittlebrrk tunnel that leads off to the right...and didnt see off shoots in this direction..are you local..?..

lpphevs

Wasteland Wanderer
28DL Full Member
From what I can gather its separate I think...as I walked the prittlebrrk tunnel that leads off to the right...and didnt see off shoots in this direction..are you local..?..
It’s Liam from BTP. Sounds like it could be worth checking out although not sure what to check. Is this along Highlands Boulevard do you reckon?

DE-eVOLVED SS3

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It’s Liam from BTP. Sounds like it could be worth checking out although not sure what to check. Is this along Highlands Boulevard do you reckon?
I have heard people mention the alotment off Manchester Drive also Belfairs woods as well as a point along the actual brook.. a work friend of mine recalls the chain ladder and a steep slope down..and he also used to ride BMX down there..I hear the system has been referbed ..another person said it used to be dry down there but recently heard fas flowing water..I dont know if access is still possible..but defo worth a look...

Also..ill pm you Liam, I dont know for sure yet if theres any truth in it but theres a possible underground war room locally........apparently ..
Hope alls well ..i am neally done on my Garrison report\s but lacking enthusiasm at the moment as the Mess and buildings A B and C have somewhat thrown me off course .. alledgibly ab and see was the actual mess building... !?.. But finding info on this is effort and not turning much up... and not sure what A B and C buildings purpose stood as..?.. As soon as I am clear on those points ill finish the report.. - Martin/DE-eVOLVED SS3

Catacomber

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
its still there, there is still a chain to get down, done the whole length. Pretty crazy really. im going to take some rope next time for getting in and out. I'm really interested in the war room if there's been any progress on that

lpphevs

Wasteland Wanderer
28DL Full Member
its still there, there is still a chain to get down, done the whole length. Pretty crazy really. im going to take some rope next time for getting in and out. I'm really interested in the war room if there's been any progress on that
sounds cool! So this is some kind of underground section to the drain?

Catacomber

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Its a cool run, its an emergency flood drain. I have searched everywhere for plans, can't find anything. The sea end is blocked so please people be prepared; don't go down there with bad weather

lpphevs

Wasteland Wanderer
28DL Full Member
I have heard people mention the alotment off Manchester Drive also Belfairs woods as well as a point along the actual brook.. a work friend of mine recalls the chain ladder and a steep slope down..and he also used to ride BMX down there..I hear the system has been referbed ..another person said it used to be dry down there but recently heard fas flowing water..I dont know if access is still possible..but defo worth a look...

Also..ill pm you Liam, I dont know for sure yet if theres any truth in it but theres a possible underground war room locally........apparently ..
Hope alls well ..i am neally done on my Garrison report\s but lacking enthusiasm at the moment as the Mess and buildings A B and C have somewhat thrown me off course .. alledgibly ab and see was the actual mess building... !?.. But finding info on this is effort and not turning much up... and not sure what A B and C buildings purpose stood as..?.. As soon as I am clear on those points ill finish the report.. - Martin/DE-eVOLVED SS3
Sounds like this has gotta be checked out, I didn't realise there was any proper tunnelly sections from the Prittle Brook. The google map link posted earlier looks like the most promising spot to give it a recce. Keep up the good work Martin :)

Catacomber

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They put a nasty spiked fence up 7/8 years ago. I'm in the belief all tunnels running off prittlebrook including alotments are flood relief, i stumbled across a survey map for where the tunnels were proposed to be. Well interested in this war room if any info out there. Got a report coming on King Henry's tunnel from Fambridge to the Anne boleyn, spoke to a few property owners around the location and its believed to not be a myth ........

Last edited: