real time web analytics
Report - - STORTHES HALL ASYLUM, HUDDERFIELD - AUG 18 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - STORTHES HALL ASYLUM, HUDDERFIELD - AUG 18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jbrxo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
A psychiatric hospital operated at Storthes Hall between 1904 and 1991. Founded as an asylum and known as the Storthes Hall Mental Hospital (1929–1938), then as the West Riding Mental Hospital (1939–1948), and finally as the Storthes Hall Hospital (1949–1991).
Storthes Hall Hospital was one of several hospitals investigated in 1967 as a result of the publication of Barbara Robb's book "Sans Everything". Accusations covered a thirty-two-week period of serious violent assaults with fists or weapons against male patients of all ages, committed by four named male nurses. It was also alleged that it was like Belsen because it was a “brutal, bestial, beastly place”—it was a “hell-hole”. However, the same report found none of the allegations against any named or unnamed member of the Hospital Staff to have been proved.
Our Visit
Gaining access to the site was easily found when walking around the site. There is however now a security guard that lives in a building on site, he’s sound. Had a good chat with him and he told us a lot of the history. And that due to metal thief’s there’s absolutely nothing left in the buildings. But he was happy for us to take pictures even though there isn’t much to see anymore.

D9C17161-49A0-48A5-A6DF-059746136DBB.jpeg

FED21650-3174-4117-978A-1D58C4AFB38B.jpeg

36544D58-65F7-4A25-87E4-604A01C95656.jpeg

4AF84E74-2E55-4CFA-ABCD-9EF201E061DA.jpeg

Jbrxo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There was no way into the main admin building, but that one photo shows the state of the morgue building... took some more but it’s such a state I didn’t think they were worth uploading

L

little_ boy_explores

There was no way into the main admin building, but that one photo shows the state of the morgue building... took some more but it’s such a state I didn’t think they were worth uploading

if there is no inside pictures whats the point of uploading in the first place?

L

little_ boy_explores

So people know the state of a place that used to be in really good condition. And how much of a shame it is that it’s fucked. And also to save people the trip if they’re traveling a while to see it... as there’s nothing to see anymore

I do agree the asylum is in a state now (and it is a shame as there was many items left behind back in the day) but there are threads that was made last month showing the entirety of the building (including the inside)...

Jbrxo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I do agree the asylum is in a state now (and it is a shame as there was many items left behind back in the day) but there are threads that was made last month showing the entirety of the building (including the inside)...

And I see your point... although a month is a long time and a lot changes. The building is being turned into a resteraunt/bar for a retirement village... so it has been gutted and there’s no way inside. So thought it was worth posting so people know that again, there’s nothing left.

johnnyb47

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
its a shame in the uk , the Gov: destroy everything and build houses everywhere and destroy history . and memiores . but if your in the usa they have places going back 100's of years complete towns lol

the_enigma

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Think you need to simmer down "little boy", you haven't exactly covered yourself in glory while being a member of this forum. I don't see anything wrong with this report and is an update of what the situation with the building is. Get down off your high horse.

To Jbrxo, keep doing your thing and ignore tossers like him.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
its a shame in the uk , the Gov: destroy everything and build houses everywhere and destroy history . and memiores . but if your in the usa they have places going back 100's of years complete towns lol

If you think the UK is bad for that I hate to break it to you but the USA is in a different league - for one, they have no legally binding statutes on protecting historic buildings, yes they have the national Register of Historic Places but that won't, and doesn't, stop them being torn down wholesale if a developer flashes enough cash to the corrupt governors, as in the sad and sorry case of Greystone Asylum and so many others.

AmosDenisonsearch

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Does anyone know how to find any records of the patients in the 1960's? We think my uncle may have died there [1961 or 1967] following years of WW1 "shell-shock" - every night screaming of being back left for dead in "no-man's land" during Battle of the Somme. He was Joseph Gordon Denison 21st Battalion, Manchester Regiment.

sambo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
A psychiatric hospital operated at Storthes Hall between 1904 and 1991. Founded as an asylum and known as the Storthes Hall Mental Hospital (1929–1938), then as the West Riding Mental Hospital (1939–1948), and finally as the Storthes Hall Hospital (1949–1991).
Storthes Hall Hospital was one of several hospitals investigated in 1967 as a result of the publication of Barbara Robb's book "Sans Everything". Accusations covered a thirty-two-week period of serious violent assaults with fists or weapons against male patients of all ages, committed by four named male nurses. It was also alleged that it was like Belsen because it was a “brutal, bestial, beastly place”—it was a “hell-hole”. However, the same report found none of the allegations against any named or unnamed member of the Hospital Staff to have been proved.
Our Visit
Gaining access to the site was easily found when walking around the site. There is however now a security guard that lives in a building on site, he’s sound. Had a good chat with him and he told us a lot of the history. And that due to metal thief’s there’s absolutely nothing left in the buildings. But he was happy for us to take pictures even though there isn’t much to see anymore.

D9C17161-49A0-48A5-A6DF-059746136DBB.jpeg

FED21650-3174-4117-978A-1D58C4AFB38B.jpeg

36544D58-65F7-4A25-87E4-604A01C95656.jpeg

4AF84E74-2E55-4CFA-ABCD-9EF201E061DA.jpeg
you tried the local archives/ records it’s all public access if you phone and ask they can prepare a room for you to view documents/ items and the staff are usually very friendly and helpful