Web
Analytics
Report - - Storthes Hall Asylum, Huddersfield - July 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Storthes Hall Asylum, Huddersfield - July 2018

little_ boy_explores

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Storthes hall asylum (administration block)

The history

Storthes Hall asylum operated between 1904 and 1991. Storthes Hall Hospital was one of several hospitals investigated in 1967 as a result of the publication of Barbara Robb's book "Sans Everything". Accusations covered a thirty-two-week period of serious violent assaults with fists or weapons against male patients of all ages, committed by four named male nurses (there are many other horror stories about the asylum told by locals) . It closed in 1991 and was eventually converted back to a private residence (university of Huddersfield).

1532289342978.png

1532289357077.png

1532289368918.png

1532289378837.png

The explore

we've frequented this place a few times... morgue, admin offices and the officers house... we'd heard a few rumours that the regular secca had retired so was passing and decided to see what was happening if anything with the disused asylum. Looks like a developer is to turn it into a retirement village... The admin block will remain and will be converted into a restaurant with bars/coffee shop. although the main site consists of student accomadation it's rumoured that the university is trying to offload this with the main focus of residential student accommodation being met by third parties... who knows this could be a derp of the future? anyway here's some pics before the conversion.

1532288413134.png

1532288456113.png

1532288574532.png
1532288584674.png

1532288687762.png

1532288701038.png

1532288713350.png

1532288818316.png
1532288833037.png

1532288921807.png

1532288935836.png

1532289003997.png

LBE

little_ boy_explores

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Not many of those Lamposts kicking about now :(

At least they are doing something with the main building finally
those lampposts are exquisite... they look like 50's utilities swan necks... your right their pretty rare today... there's a few down the main road to the old asylum which look like Thorn Beta 79 which were most likely installed in the 90's...
but no way as cool as those on the drive of the asylum :thumb

There seems to be something always weird going on up there...

nice thread
not as weird as the activities carried out on patients by the staff at the old asylum

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Someone who knows their street lighting then!

A Thorn Alpha 9 was a 70's fav also ;)

Yeah, a travesty seeing some now 'relics' of the past removed from the streets, some older NHS sites had and still have some epic lighting, albeit dead as a post, excuse the pun

little_ boy_explores

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Someone who knows their street lighting then ;)

Yeah, a travesty seeing some now 'relics' of the past removed from the streets, some older NHS sites had and still have some epic lighting, albeit dead as a post, excuse the pun
There seems to be a cull of lampposts in general... looks like the government are moving over to the LED type... in an attempt to save some pennies here and there.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
I've visited a friend in the student accommodation a few times - all modernised with only a few relics of it's former asylum days showing through. I hadn't seen the old admin building though - I see that stands alone now, where the main asylum would once have been - looks like a lot was demolished.

little_ boy_explores

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've visited a friend in the student accommodation a few times - all modernised with only a few relics of it's former asylum days showing through. I hadn't seen the old admin building though - I see that stands alone now, where the main asylum would once have been - looks like a lot was demolished.
Unfortunately the above is true... it looks like it was decommissioned sometime in the 90's and demolishment started soon after... a true monster of a place in size and patient care...

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Unfortunately the above is true... it looks like it was decommissioned sometime in the 90's and demolishment started soon after... a true monster of a place in size and patient care...
Yeah looks like it was huge. Interesting to see what left anyway. The central building of the later part that is now student accommodation looks just like the main admin building, I assume it must have replicated the design, sans clock tower.

little_ boy_explores

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah looks like it was huge. Interesting to see what left anyway. The central building of the later part that is now student accommodation looks just like the main admin building, I assume it must have replicated the design, sans clock tower.

probably...

there are other buildings amongst the student accommodation that are the original buildings (from the asylum)... heres one

1532298082683.png

little_ boy_explores

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Is that the building that is now the bar, etc? The Venue I think it's called. Any idea what it was originally?
not sure... where guessing it was possibly a staff training facility... although we can't be certain... there were many blocks to the asylum to keep it operational it was almost like a small town