real time web analytics
Report - - Stratheden Hospital, Fife - June 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stratheden Hospital, Fife - June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with prettyvacant71 as part of our road trip. As usual, we like to make life difficult for ourselves so we opted for the most awkward access point only to discover several easier ways in when we moved around inside the place.

History:

When the hospital was opened on 1 July 1866, it was known as the Fife and Kinross District Asylum. 159 patients were recorded on the roster although it was built to accommodate up to 200. The first chief physician, John Batty Tuke, pioneered the hospitals "open door" policy and helped change traditional methods of psychiatric care. Due to eventual overcrowding, the hospital was extended in 1896. Costing over £20,000, the extension increased the patient capacity to 600 and a further two new hospital wings were also built in 1905 due to the increasing number of patients.

The creation of the NHS in 1948 completely re-organised the British health system and its hospitals. With the introduction of the National Health Service (Scotland) Act 1947 the name of the hospital changed from 'The Fife and Kinross District Asylum' to 'Stratheden Hospital' on 7 July 1948.

1960 saw the arrival of Dr Douglas Haldane, an energetic and recently appointed young consultant child psychiatrist. He had the novel idea of calling his department "Child and Family Psychiatry", a name that was to catch on elsewhere. His unit was located at 'Playfield House' and was opened in the grounds of the hospital. As the label implied, it catered for children, adolescents and their families. Eventually, in 1975 two purpose-built buildings were set aside for the in-patient care for whole family groups, along the lines of the Cassel Hospital, south of the border. The other consultant child psychiatrist appointed to the hospital was Dr Simon Lindsay, who had been a trainee of the distinguished child analyst Melanie Klein. Lindsay was said to have been the only direct Kleinian in the whole of Scotland.

Plans for a new Intensive psychiatric care unit at Stratheden were approved in 2014 and construction began in 2015. The extension cost £4.4 million and includes a communal lounge, rooms for rehabilitative and therapeutic activities, access to an outdoor courtyard, private meeting rooms for visits from families or visitors, an IT suite and eight new patient en-suite rooms. It was opened in May 2016.

IHAqH2Gh.jpg

m2MjYiah.jpg

G9Tdntxh.jpg

W1WMkOdh.jpg

9cywpGbh.jpg

CmigFRLh.jpg

9uQikwPh.jpg

See the hole in the floor in the pic below? Yeah that was my foot. And my leg. My bollocks were aching for a while after that!

ybr88Xxh.jpg

wSbeVAxh.jpg

jzG0PXsh.jpg

VUI5llJh.jpg

xmH975dh.jpg

92YJBsOh.jpg

fnJh3jLh.jpg

zfQklP5h.jpg

x1gTER5h.jpg

aK6ZauNh.jpg

U5TYtf6h.jpg

MRFrwreh.jpg

snCxaf6h.jpg

eLOYzYph.jpg

tXiICzJh.jpg

Ya3ECPbh.jpg

T6TOlnsh.jpg

Aqb9mKqh.jpg

cVV4EXPh.jpg

HhJ8795h.jpg

rKo6xomh.jpg

xFgj1cGh.jpg

And finally, a great sign to find at the end of the visit!

H5oTmYbh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

JackOsgood

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey! Nice report.
Do you know if there is much security at this location? Or Is it quite an easy access and explore. Thanks :)

Pammyj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Glad you enjoyed, my pals were also there yesterday and the usual access point was locked up. They couldn’t find another way in. We’re you just up for the day?

Pammyj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Glad you enjoyed, my pals were also there yesterday and the usual access point was locked up. They couldn’t find another way in. We’re you just up for the day?

Just realised it’s titled June and you only posted it sat lol.