real time web analytics
Report - - Stratheden Hospital & Mortuary, Scotland, Aug/Sept 2015. | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stratheden Hospital & Mortuary, Scotland, Aug/Sept 2015.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

SirHissjunior

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History lifted from another report;

'Stratheden Hospital, or Fife and Kinross District Asylum as it was first known, opened on July 1st 1866. Purpose built to accommodate up to 200 mental health patients, the initial patient roster was 159.

The first chief physician, Dr Tuke, was regarded highly as a doctor who changed the traditional methods of mental health care and helped pioneer the "open door" policy of the hospital. The reporting commissioner was impressed by this and noted that not one of the patients had abused it, including an inmate from Perth Prison who had been transferred to the hospital. The patients health benefited greatly from this advancement in treatment and it was noted by the reporting commissioner that this led to the patients becoming "more contented and less destructive."

Further examples of pioneering health care can be seen in the employment of the patients. Patients would do simple jobs, such as teasing hair out of chairs and upholstery, which was paid for. Another note of interest is that a bolt of lightning caused a large fire in 1888, which fortunately resulted in no fatalities.

In 1896 the hospital underwent a vast extension programme in order to ease overcrowding. It was described by the reporting commissioner as "a valuable and instructive advance in asylum administration". Over £20,000 was spent, in order to increase the capacity of the hospital to 600. In 1900 the Springfield estate was completely purchased, and by 1905 two new hospital wings had been opened, to accommodate the large influx of in-patients seen by the hospital at the time.

The proceeding years following Dr Turnbull's resignation followed as stabley as the era would allow. When, in 1947 the National Health Service was created, the hospital system was completely re-organised. The NHS Act 1947 brought in new measures and organisational structures throughout the country, and Fife was no exception. The Springfield Mental Hospital Group, which was the governing body for the surrounding local mental health hospitals, was changed to the Fife Mental Hospital Board of Management. The NHS Act was implemented fully by 5th July 1948. On the 7th July 1948, just two days later, it was decided that Fife and Kinross District Asylum was to also undergo a name change. Implemented in January 1949, Fife and Kinross District Asylum was changed to what is now known as Stratheden Hospital'

The Explore;

I visited the hospital and the mortuary on 2 separate occasions with a non member.
I have since lost my images from the mortuary visit so I've had to lift the best of those from Instagram to display here so I do apologise for the quality of the last 4 images.
A quick google search of Stratheden seems to bring up a load of negative stories about the standard of patient care here. Not sure if that is sensationalism in the media at its best or something more sinister.
It's worth noting that some of the site is still operational. We walked past many a patient and nurse and NHS estates people while looking for access.
I cannot get enough of that curved corridor! The workmanship on that is nothing short of genius. Definitely a unique feature that I've yet to see repeated.

Enjoy!

Edit1_zpsf0css9rn.gif

View attachment 685633

View attachment 685634

View attachment 685635

View attachment 685636

View attachment 685637

View attachment 685638

View attachment 685639

View attachment 685640

View attachment 685641

View attachment 685642