real time web analytics
Report - - Strathmartine mental hosp March 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Strathmartine mental hosp March 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shoot on site

28DL Member
28DL Member
Strathmartine hospital was built in 1852 and added to throughout its lifetime, this link gives a good history http://134.36.1.31/dserve/dserve2/history/thb8hist.html

On a personal note, I lived near it when I was growing up and often used to follow the local "dighty burn" up river to bridgefoot and Strathmartine. We all new this was where the bogey man lived and my brothers had many scary stories to terrify me, but I used to (and still do) love the atmosphere of the place

The site is very large and even though I was there for several hours, I managed to get into less than half of the entire site. Its still in good ish condition, with a few fires and holes in roofs etc, but it has been badly pikied and all the manhole covers, cast iron rainwater pipes and stairs have been stripped. Sadly it wont be too long before nature kills it off with water constantly running down the walls
Its an excellent place to explore, and you can almost feel the pain of its former inhabitants, and a sense of general eerieness
I went alone, and it was very exciting to say the least, especially when I got caught by security. Its never good to hear "oi! what you fuckin doin in there?" They were reasonable in the end, but definitely NOT the type to piss off with attitude (two of them, no uniform, plenty aggression)
Hope this gives a feeling of the place, it's scary, exciting, huge and often beautiful in its decay

I hope Ive managed to resize the shots ok, but man, that photobuckets slow and a major pain

Feedback appreciated, hope you enjoy half as much as I did

This is one of the new blocks up the hill, not much to interest me

_DSC0001NEF-1.jpg

These are the lower large wards, in generally good shape and pretty secure, they overlook the older wards and buildings

_DSC0025NEF.jpg

The one below, is taken in front of wards pictured above, looking down on the site and over to tha east end of site, you still haven't seen all of it bya a long stretch

This is the block which has heavy fire damage, the big metal bolt on wings used to be steel staircase

_DSC0032NEF.jpg

_DSC0042NEF.jpg

_DSC0033NEF.jpg

_DSC0041NEF.jpg

_DSC0044NEF.jpg

_DSC0087NEF.jpg

Twice I was interupted by the local deer population, maybe security have them trained :)

_DSC0037NEF.jpg

Deer botoom left outside large secure unit, most of the rainwater pipes have been removed up to around ladder height
_DSC0097NEF.jpg

Some general stuff shots

_DSC0107NEF.jpg

_DSC0115NEF.jpg

_DSC0180NEF.jpg

_DSC0136NEF.jpg

_DSC0131NEF.jpg

_DSC0170NEF.jpg

Bars and locked windows offer a reminder everywhere of the security and generally dangerous people kept here

_DSC0004NEF.jpg

I know theres a lot of shots, but thought you could delete anything undesirable (mods)
Really hope the sizes are ok, I've honestly spent hours on this due to my computer seeming to dislike photobucket
Thanks for looking and your feedback. Phew!!! :thumb

William Muir

LockdownUrbex
28DL Full Member
hey nice report mate i wouldnt go there myself as its crawling with security now since the last fire incidents

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
hey nice report mate i wouldnt go there myself as its crawling with security now since the last fire incidents

No it's really not. Went there not too long back and it's still a walk in although almost all of the buildings are totally sealed up. Unless there's been another big fire in the last month or so.

William Muir

LockdownUrbex
28DL Full Member
No it's really not. Went there not too long back and it's still a walk in although almost all of the buildings are totally sealed up. Unless there's been another big fire in the last month or so.[/QUOTEthere was a fire there last year they added more security along with dogs

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Didn't see a sausage when I was there a couple of months back, wandered around the outside for maybe an hour striking out at all but two buildings.

38463562801_9a2b546f9a_b.jpg

38463563951_e08aa8bb85_b.jpg

38463560681_cecd0ea94a_b.jpg

38463563111_9c80dbbe4b_b.jpg

38463564381_6c55df6373_b.jpg

38463563511_9c9b10f816_b.jpg