real time web analytics
Report - - Summer at the Narrowcliff Hotel, Newquay, July 2018 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Summer at the Narrowcliff Hotel, Newquay, July 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Cortinalights

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Edwardian Narrowcliffe Hotel was one of a prominent row of hotels on the coastal road into Newquay. It was built around 1920 as a private house before being turned into a hotel and extended. It became popular with coach tours but the last Tripadvisor reviews complained of damp and peeling wallpaper and were often hitting the poor and terrible categories. It closed at the end of 2015 and in May 2018 Cornwall Council recommended plans for it's demolition and replacement with a block of 13 appartments. However, a month later councillors threw the plans out for being too out of keeping with the area leaving its future uncertain.

My visit inside was brief, mainly because I just happened upon it while walking to Tolcarne Beach to go bodyboarding so it wasn't practical to carry the boards all round the hotel and it didn't seem a good idea to leave them outside. There were also signs of building work going on and I wasn't sure if work was taking place on this day. It's a lovely looking building from the front and it surely would be a shame to demolish it and replace it with more faceless concrete development in this part of Newquay.

IMG_7777.JPG

IMG_7778.JPG

IMG_7779.JPG

IMG_7781.JPG

IMG_7782.JPG

IMG_7783.JPG

IMG_7786.JPG

IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7825.JPG

IMG_8664.JPG

Last edited:

Adzitude

Lost_Property_Devon
28DL Full Member
The Edwardian Narrowcliffe Hotel was one of a prominent row of hotels on the coastal road into Newquay. It was built around 1920 as a private house before being turned into a hotel and extended. It became popular with coach tours but the last Tripadvisor reviews complained of damp and peeling wallpaper and were often hitting the poor and terrible categories. It closed at the end of 2015 and in May 2018 Cornwall Council recommended plans for it's demolition and replacement with a block of 13 appartments. However, a month later councillors threw the plans out for being too out of keeping with the area leaving its future uncertain.

My visit inside was brief, mainly because I just happened upon it while walking to Tolcarne Beach to go bodyboarding so it wasn't practical to carry the boards all round the hotel and it didn't seem a good idea to leave them outside. There were also signs of building work going on and I wasn't sure if work was taking place on this day. It's a lovely looking building from the front and it surely would be a shame to demolish it and replace it with more faceless concrete development in this part of Newquay.

IMG_7777.JPG

IMG_7778.JPG

IMG_7779.JPG

IMG_7781.JPG

IMG_7782.JPG

IMG_7783.JPG

IMG_7786.JPG

IMG_7821.JPG

IMG_7825.JPG

IMG_8664.JPG
Nice report! We went in September, found a junkie so retreated!

Cortinalights

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report! We went in September, found a junkie so retreated!
Haha me and you are following each other round the place, one day we'll bump into each other in some old hotel and give ourselves a fright. It's a shame in Newquay because there's a lot of homeless people there and guess it's best to sleep in a hotel than on the street, time before this when I went there I got chatting to a geez who just by chance told me he had slept that night in the Edgcumbe, even told me the best way in. Have you been to the Fistral Bay? Got over the wall and thought about going in but was on me own, way in was crawling only and I just thought nah

Adzitude

Lost_Property_Devon
28DL Full Member
Haha me and you are following each other round the place, one day we'll bump into each other in some old hotel and give ourselves a fright. It's a shame in Newquay because there's a lot of homeless people there and guess it's best to sleep in a hotel than on the street, time before this when I went there I got chatting to a geez who just by chance told me he had slept that night in the Edgcumbe, even told me the best way in. Have you been to the Fistral Bay? Got over the wall and thought about going in but was on me own, way in was crawling only and I just thought nah
Haha totally! This was part of a frustrating days explore in newquay. The wall at Fistral we thought was lowest next to the newsagent, but there was a woman in the window watching us. Apparently its literally pitch black in there, so pics would probably be hard to get. On the same day tried Edgcumbe, had been told entry was easy round the back of tesco, but for the life of us we couldn't see it!

Cortinalights

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Shame, looked a little more promising from the external. Nothing of interest in the foyer or loft?
Yeah quite possibly but this is all I was going to do on this day, may have been different if what I'd found downstairs looked more interesting but it was basically already half demolished inside

Cortinalights

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha totally! This was part of a frustrating days explore in newquay. The wall at Fistral we thought was lowest next to the newsagent, but there was a woman in the window watching us. Apparently its literally pitch black in there, so pics would probably be hard to get. On the same day tried Edgcumbe, had been told entry was easy round the back of tesco, but for the life of us we couldn't see it!

Well yes that's exactly what the homeless man told me and found the same thing, but then there were builders all around the area so it wasn't really that easy to have a close look

kernow84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well yes that's exactly what the homeless man told me and found the same thing, but then there were builders all around the area so it wasn't really that easy to have a close look
the newagent in the fistral bay hotel has closed down as its the end of the season, it wont be re opening until next year so best time to go in,

Cortinalights

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
this place is boarded up again now, im going to fistral bay hotel tomorrow will be posting a report
Thanks for the update, guessing by your name you're down that way so you've got the word on the street, will wait to see what you find, but hey don't discuss plans too much on open forum! And I thought the newsagent has been closed for years? Or is that just the post office next door?

kernow84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the update, guessing by your name you're down that way so you've got the word on the street, will wait to see what you find, but hey don't discuss plans too much on open forum! And I thought the newsagent has been closed for years? Or is that just the post office next door?
yes, not to far from newquay, the post office has shut down but the shop next door to it on the corner only opens for the tourist season now.

Who has read this thread (Total: 278) View details