Report - - Summerlands Lodge, Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, March 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Summerlands Lodge, Westgate-on-Sea, Kent, March 2013


Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member
Visited with Catullus and two non-members.
It's not the most interesting on places, but the original plan didn't work out and we needed somewhere easy as we had a first time explorer with us.

Summerlands Lodge was erected as a purpose-built preparatory school in 1906 and its original name was Doon House. The architect is not at present known. Doon House School was founded in 1886 by George Reece and John Campbell, moved to larger existing premises called Doon House on an adjacent site to this one in 1891 but by 1902 the school had again outgrown its premises. As a result the founders decided to build a larger purpose-built school immediately to the west. The foundation stone was laid on March 29 1906 by Mrs CHW Reece and the building took the name Doon House from the earlier adjoining building. The school remained in these premises until it was evacuated to Herefordshire in 1940.

During the Second World War the property was occupied by officers from RAF Manston. After the war the school did not return to Westgate-on-Sea and in 1946 it was bought by the Royal British Legion as a nursing and convalescent home and renamed Maurice Lodge. Later it became the head office for a construction company and in the mid-1980s a nursing home called Summerlands Lodge.











Similar threads