real time web analytics
Report - - Summit Bridge (Brindle, Lancashire), April 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Summit Bridge (Brindle, Lancashire), April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pscjm

28DL Member
28DL Member
Isolated in a farmer's field around 100m South of the junction between the M61 & M65 lies a forgotten accommodation bridge which used to have the Walton summit canal branch running beneath it. The bridge is in a rather sorry state despite it's grade 2 listing.

The Walton summit branch, a 3 mile stretch which ran from Whittle-le-woods to Walton Summit, has been out of use since the 1930's. For 30 years or so after this the canal survived, but the construction of the M61 motorway signalled the end of the canal branch and it was filled in whilst the motorway was completed.

There are a few reminders of the canal which was so well used for over 100 years between the 19th and 20th century, and Summit Bridge is one of them. With it's grade 2 listed status, it looks as though it will be around for a while yet.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The filled in canal bed, the fence which separates the M61 and the field can be seen in the background.

image.jpg

Taken from the rather soggy canal bed, with plenty of litter, rubble and dead animals to keep me company.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The bridge may be In the middle of a field, but it used to sit only a couple of hundred metres away from Brindle Service Reservoir on Pippin Street. Unfortunately, that brick vaulted reservoir has now been demolished. Leaving this bridge the only interesting thing in the close vicinity.

Apologies for the picture quality, the photos were taken with my camera phone.

Thanks for looking!

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
a bridge ... but a good report from a technical point of view. What, Where & When in the title. Looks like some old fashioned research was done to get the history. Pictures -pretty decent from a phone camera. Probably could have used a shot of the other side of the bridge, maybe one from on the bridge (if structurally sound) . Marks off from not getting a picture of the troll. Trolls live under bridges , ya know ... :rolleyes: :D . Keep up the good work !

Walrus75

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So pleased to stumble across this rather innocuous report because it's added to a curiosity that grabbed my interest some 40-odd years ago. I've travelled up and down the M61 (Blackpool to Rochdale and back) lots since it was built back in 1969 and as a kid back in the early '70s I grasped the idea that this bit of land was not "natural" --> https://goo.gl/maps/ioGgM3uRR692 The trees and bushes weren't so big back then and there was even water in what appeared to be a channel of some sort.
I haven't lived local (nor even any kind of close) for donkeys years but every time I've passed it over the years I've thought that I must do a bit of investigation. Anyhoo, I passed it again yesterday and promised myself I'd check it out this time... hence this rather long reply to your oldish posting.
Cheers buddy, now I know, that's one of many childhood mysteries solved.

Old maps for anyone interested enough to look --> http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=53.7095&lon=-2.6306&layers=6&b=2