real time web analytics
Report - - Sunnyside Royal Hospital, Montrose - April 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sunnyside Royal Hospital, Montrose - April 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sunnyside Royal Hospital
- Former Royal Asylum of Montrose -

IMG_3682SRH.JPG

You’d need to go a long way to beat this big old slice of asylum Victoriana these days. In fact, you need to go a long way to see this one, it being tucked away in a corner of eastern Scotland few people have even heard of…
The Royal Asylum of Montrose was founded by Mrs Susan Carnegie in 1781 for the treatment of private patients and the poor, making it Scotland’s first and oldest psychic institution, but it wasn’t until 1858 that it transferred to this site on Sunnyside Farm at Hillside.

IMG_3584SRH.JPG

The E-plan Jacobean main building (1855-57 and category B listed) dominates the site, the fact that it overlooks huge open grounds making it look rather less imposing from afar than it is up close. Later additions were made to its rear and the site was further developed with other buildings to cope with increasing demand. An Infirmary was added (1888-91, category B listed) followed by Carnegie House for private patients (1895, category C listed). Howden Villa followed in 1901, and Northesk Villa in 1904 (now category C listed) for female patients.

A nurses’ home – Booth House (now category B listed) – was completed in 1935, followed by Angus House in 1939 to house elderly patients with dementia. A later monstrosity of a building was added to provide occupational therapy.

The site was wound down with the outlying buildings closing and being boarded up years in advance of the main building’s final closure in 2011, when all remaining services were transferred to a new Susan Carnegie Centre. The site, which is regarded as a rare complete example of such an institution, is due to be redeveloped as Sunnyside Park – but with only the main building, infirmary and Carnegie House set to be retained. Historic Environment Scotland has however objected to the demolition of six other listed structures on the site, including Booth House, the workshops, fire station and water tower, and work is yet to start.

On first inspection it seemed like the local joiners had been out in force, with every hole very recently patched up precluding access to most of the buildings. That was something of a shame, but after following a trail of breadcrumbs and observing the lie of the land, we found our way in to the main building.

Externals:

Main Building from the rear

IMG_3594SRH.JPG

IMG_3593SRH.JPG

Carnegie House

IMG_3602-2SRH.JPG

Booth House

IMG_3599SRH.JPG

The Infirmary

IMG_3598SRH.JPG

Water Tank

IMG_3597SRH.JPG

Northesk Villa

The suggestion that this should be demolished rather smacks of architectural vandalism...

IMG_3611SRH.JPG

Occupational Therapy

This carbuncle on the other hand can't be removed from the earth quickly enough...

IMG_3610SRH.JPG

It was wide open though and a quick look inside revealed your typical fit-out of its day:

IMG_3605SRH.JPG

Main Building internals

This seemed to be a building of two halves, with one very traditional and the other modernised at some point perhaps 40 or so years ago.
I've stuck largely to the old bits here...

IMG_3612SRH.JPG

IMG_3616SRH.JPG

IMG_3620SRH.JPG

IMG_3621SRH.JPG

IMG_3622-2SRH.JPG

IMG_3624SRH.JPG

IMG_3625SRH.JPG

IMG_3627SRH.JPG

IMG_3628SRH.JPG

IMG_3634SRH.JPG

IMG_3636SRH.JPG

IMG_3640SRH.JPG

Main Hall

Complete with magnificent barrel vaulted ceiling...

IMG_3642SRH.JPG

IMG_3643SRH.JPG

IMG_3645SRH.JPG

IMG_3649SRH.JPG

Board Room

IMG_3644SRH.JPG

Wards

IMG_3651SRH.JPG

IMG_3654SRH.JPG

(Continued in next post)​

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
This one is working for me but I've had the same on other threads. Mentioned it to OT earlier and he's had it too. He's looking in to it with the "image host CDN"

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
The sunshine made for some lovely bright pics btw mate. Very nicely covered.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Craking report mate. We missed the dentist chair in here and seeing other reports some of the outer buildings are good too.

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Craking report mate. We missed the dentist chair in here and seeing other reports some of the outer buildings are good too.

Thank you mate. Now you mention it I missed that chair too!

When I was researching this afterwards I stumbled across some pictures of a really nice interior of Carnegie House, complete with painted ornate ceiling and big fireplaces. I don't think anyone's posted that building on here. It was sealed up tight though when we went...