real time web analytics
Report - - Sunnyside Royal Hospital, Montrose - July 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sunnyside Royal Hospital, Montrose - July 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Geist

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

(Taken from Canmore)
The Royal Asylum of Montrose was founded in 1781 by Mrs Susan Carnegie of Charlton for the treatment of private and pauper lunatics, and was the first purpose-built psychiatric institute in Scotland. Prior to this, insane patients had been housed in the Old Tolbooth in the High Street. In 1858 the asylum was transferred to Moffatt's new building on the lands of a farm at Sunnyside. The new building cost £27,513, and was built in the Jacobean style Moffatt often adopted. When the lease of the farmlands expired in 1911, 52 acres were purchased for the hospital at a cost of £4,500

Sunnyside Royal Hospital itself was built in 1855-7 on a hillside site 6km north of Montrose to replace the old Royal Asylum in the town. The new site was further developed in 1888-91 when a hospital block, designed by the architects, Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, was built to the north-west of the main building, and a large villa, Carnegie Lodge, was added to house private patients. Another two villas, Howden Villa and North Esk Villa, were built in the early 1900s to provide accommodation for pauper patients, and a nurses' home was constructed in 1935.

Building and architectural information can be found here.

Visit

Choosing to walk here from Montrose on one of the hottest days of the year was a mistake, but it was worth it for the three accessible buildings I could find, that being the Main Building, Booth House and Occupational Therapy. The grounds seem to be a haven for dog walkers, signs advertising that they're welcome to roam so long as they don't access the buildings.

The Main Building is most tightly fenced off, with layers of herras and palisade fencing, but the upside of this is that it's in much better condition than the outbuildings seem to be. Although I was sad to see the backdrop on the stage in the hall has been pulled down and lies in a pigeon-mess-covered heap on the floor. I also regret missing the morgue and the dentist chair, maybe next time.

DSC_0264s.JPG

DSC_0076s.JPG

DSC_0099s.JPG

DSC_0118s.JPG

DSC_0120s.JPG

DSC_0123s.JPG

DSC_0169s.JPG

DSC_0175s.JPG

DSC_0178s.JPG

DSC_0191s.JPG

DSC_0198s.JPG

DSC_0207s.JPG

DSC_0210s.JPG

DSC_0213s.JPG

DSC_0217s.JPG

DSC_0224s.JPG

DSC_0228s.JPG

DSC_0229s.JPG

DSC_0239s.JPG

DSC_0243s.JPG

DSC_0246s.JPG

DSC_0244s.JPG

DSC_0259s.JPG

DSC_0257s.JPG

DSC_0267s.JPG

pentaxme

28DL Member
28DL Member
These photos are gorgeous, thanks for sharing. Wish I could have seen this place from the inside, rumor is that internal decay started years ago. Since I've never been to Montrose I can't even say if conversion work hasn't started already. Very bummed out about this one, might still pay a visit to the site from the outside.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
These photos are gorgeous, thanks for sharing. Wish I could have seen this place from the inside, rumor is that internal decay started years ago. Since I've never been to Montrose I can't even say if conversion work hasn't started already. Very bummed out about this one, might still pay a visit to the site from the outside.

It's been ongoing since around 2019.