real time web analytics
Report - - 'Super Zero' Bunker, Salisbury - June 2013 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 'Super Zero' Bunker, Salisbury - June 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Explored with goingunderground.

This is the second time we've been here, access is a little sketchy and involves the roof falling in on your head and being dragged out by your shoulders, the second time it was a bit safer due to having the right kit.

The bunker is a type that was known as a 'Super Zero'. It may be unique. The Super Zero was a key nodal point in the Special Duties VHF network and communicated with other Zero Stations and In-Stations.
Salisbury was a very important VHF radio station for Special Duties between 1941 & 1944. The Super Zero does not appear to have been operational until November 1943. Prior to this the station was located in a hut above ground.

Access is close to the capped entrance. In this area the walls are lined with thin steel sheet with a thin concrete skim, made to look like concrete blocks. Looking behind the sheets you can see the solid chalk this was dug out of. In this area also is a door made from railway sleepers, with two locks. This leads to what we would describe as the accommodation.

There are two lower and two upper beds...

DSC_5264.jpg

The bunker appears to be well ventilated although we couldn't authoritively find the source. In the case of the accomodation, several of the airways were underneath the beds, and the airflow exited via mesh panels.

Also in this area was a small 'kitchen' area.

No pictures of the door or kitchen area because I just couldn't get far away enough to make it a worthwhile explanatory shot.

This is what we considered to be the communications room...

DSC_5261.jpg

DSC_5258_ShiftN.jpg

There were three workstations and plenty of wiring. A heavy duty mains electricity cable entered at this point and disappeared upwards, as did three possible coaxial cables.

Adjacent to this was this room...

DSC_5259.jpg

Coming off the communications room, behind a door, was a tunnel...

DSC_5265.jpg

DSC_5268.jpg

...which went to a junction...

DSC_5269.jpg

...which went down another tunnel to what looked like a couple of air inlets, or exhausts. However, where these went remains a mystery.

Daniel likes exploring

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Well i had a look at your channel and no clickbait.so thats one thing in your favour

Daniel likes exploring

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I do video's. Recording bike rides is hard going trying to do GPX files. but on shared links. Explore videos hard work sometimes. Up to man bits in mud, Sapperton canal tunnel. October. Still I did. Dont get much feedback so on here to try and get some places to go, for me really. people watch video of it, there if they want. This one looks good, up the pipe to get too. That is different for a bunker. watch a lot on youtube, The guys I like, had the odd location from.

Now helped on this place. will do and youtube it!.

Raz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks very much alike a auxiliary bunker, yet to find any up north so far!

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
ah i prefer pictures mate,your portsmouth fuel tank needs photographs,long exposures to light it up ,video unless you carry a whole lot of lighting is pointless in those tanks

Daniel likes exploring

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
ah i prefer pictures mate,your portsmouth fuel tank needs photographs,long exposures to light it up ,video unless you carry a whole lot of lighting is pointless in those tanks
Disgusting that place if go a level down. Now I realise another tunnel to the smaller door of the 2 outside at bottom. Ending of video. Big door at bottom what we look out of. Quite big gaps around. Was planning gnin going through the 18 inch pipe. Someone has. On YouTube. Will dig up and do link if you want. Layer down. On other videos is pump and a little shed. Office. Oiled and yuk. Did Not do. A good day but is more but too dirty. That boiler suit came out the black bin bag to get washed. Changed my mind. In the bin outside. Now down to 3. Had 4. Two each for the underground mine geocaching 20
15 onwards. Farleigh down tunnel geocaching. 9 in a row. No mention of caching in video. Carefully edited as Jason did.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
No need to link me youtube stuff i dont watch them,photographic reports yes where underground locations are lit correctly,i cant stand youtube videos for anything let alone underground

Who has read this thread (Total: 251) View details