real time web analytics
Supermarket Sweep, Corby - May 2016 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Supermarket Sweep, Corby - May 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member

I met up with @Pom again for some Sunday fun. I had a few culverts to check in Leicester so…. we looked at a locked gate on an outfall, then hopped a fence and found the infall also locked. My other two leads were rat-sized holes so we gave up on Leicester for the day and went to Corby so Pom could show me this.

1.jpg

Making our way past the do-as-you-likey camp that’s right next to the outfall and hopping the fence we ended up here….in just wellies.

2.jpg

As I was taking this one both our wellies breached, less than 5m in! The level soon dropped and we emptied the water out. After that we just cracked on.
A nice mix of box, blue brick, red brick and RCP, it also has a quite a few interesting features. Mostly it’s around 5’ until you get near to the infall, with a final double bore of about 3’6” each. As I’m a hobbit I can just about walk in that size, albeit bent over, but for Pom it was a very cramped shuffle. I bet he’s sore today!

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

18.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

The worst part of draining? 14 million spiders in the face every metre.

14.jpg

We chose the middle way. The left one needs another look, but not today

15.jpg

The ghost of Pom’s deceased vertebrae….or possibly just water on my lens.

16.jpg

17.jpg

The infall in the distance. I was so disappointed at the in-fall being locked that I mad the noob error of neglecting to take a decent photo of it….I hope Pom got one.

19.jpg

The outfall on the way out, just before the second breaching.

I really enjoyed this one. Thanks for a cracking day mate!

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
An interesting mishmash of construction styles there! :thumb
I can feel my back aching just looking at some of those shots.

UrbanCaving

Sewer Rat
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate. Some cracking shots there. Was a brilliant day out and glad we got all the way through. That last little bit was a killer but worth the effort to get there. My legs were certainly a bit sore :)

Thanks for a cracking day mate :)

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
I've really got to do a revisit to this.
You got some nice snaps there :thumb
Cheers for sharing :thumb

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the comments peeps.

Looks like near the infall, there is a big box section, with a high tide mark. Some kind of tank?

No, just a chamber / junction from a five foot RCP to two three foot RCPs.

The line near the top is from the shuttering used when they laid the concrete. If you look carefully, they're at different levels on either side of the chamber.