real time web analytics
28DL and UE in the News - Suppose this was just a matter of time | 28DL and Urban Exploring in the News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

28DL and UE in the News Suppose this was just a matter of time

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
My view is basically.. Who cares! Its old news, no real merit as an artical but not really bad either. Just the usual dross.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My view is basically.. Who cares! Its old news, no real merit as an artical but not really bad either. Just the usual dross.

Yeah, see your point... lots of people on other forums, social media etc seem very annoyed.. do you think these articles can help places being destroyed sooner though?

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
No, not really, the place is firmly on the tour bus route already, every goon and their dog has been in there, it wasn't a secret in 2006 and definitely not now! If it was the latest place that had been 'sold out' before we had even finished exploring it i'd be angry, but not now, this place was all said and done 10 years ago.

People get angry for the sake of it nowadays i think. They whinge at other people for getting 'exposure' while simultaneously trying to gain maximum exposure for their own photos. In many cases it's just bitterness over someone else's photos going into print. Bottom line is if you have your photos out there you dont have a leg to stand on complaining about others doing the same. Long gone are the days of our community being a secret unknown. The modern day urban tourism trail gains way more exposure for places than a crappy online news article ever will.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah, thats certainly another side to the story and I really can't argue with a word of that mate :)

I only wish I found the hobby years back when things sounded like they were very different.. just out of interest, when did you first explore this place?

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Only thing that annoys me about this is how the editor managed to find and use the noisiest images of the place available...

There's better available in stock! I'd be very surprised if the 'photographer' recived a payout for that. Probably just someone who's happy to see their pics online...

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
I dont think i went until 2008. At the time there was a friendly security guard who let us have free roam and that meant we could see all the downstairs without worrying about the alarms. It tends to come and go like that. There will be a flurry of activity every few years and then it will go quiet again for a bit. It's a common theme with the long lived UE hot spots i find. The place goes downhill every time but its not because of the people doing the exploring. Its because its sitting neglected and derelict with questionable security and generally no prospects of anything ever happening with it..

It was different that's for sure but in some ways it's better now. We didn't have people with experience back then to guide us in the way things worked ;) At first we posted online feely and sold to the papers, then realised more exposure sometimes made things harder so kept stuff more quiet, then realized it wasn't really making much difference and it was actually just the way it goes. Places close, get derelict, get destroyed and get demolished. The important thing is that we get to see them, take soe photos and enjoy it.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Places close, get derelict, get destroyed and get demolished. The important thing is that we get to see them, take soe photos and enjoy it.

Wise words mate!! I certainly hope to be able to do that for many years to come :)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Another big bag of MEH!

No point in people getting bent out of shape over 'sell out' goons, it's not going away is this sadly...

And as for
I dont think i went until 2008. At the time there was a friendly security guard who let us have free roam and that meant we could see all the downstairs without worrying about the alarms..

Well that poor cunt nearly lost his job/home etc because people couldn't keep the pics off-line as requested as I remember it ;)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
He never requested it did he! ;)

Apparently he did, I wouldn't know as my visit back then was without permission, just heard the tales after I posted a people shot up without knowing the 'deal' and was asked to take it down :D

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
What basically happened was, when i mentioned i was going, Scott told me that the guy would let you in (yeh thats Scott who made out he was the bestest explorer ever for getting back in there on his own...) No mention of any deals. Then when i got there i asked the guy and he let us in, again no mention of any deals. He also let in half the village too that day! Then i'm guessing when his employer found out he had been letting people in he got in the shit and stopped. Which i guess is understandable.

Im sure nowadays Scott wouldn't be trying to pull the wool over people's eyes about his permission visits simply to make himself look better then he was. Everyone would therefore know the 'deal' from day one and the report would have been hidden from view for a while so we could all make best use of the opportunity for a while.... and that's why the exploring community is better today than in 2008 ;)

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Places close, get derelict, get destroyed and get demolished. The important thing is that we get to see them, take some photos and enjoy it.

This pretty much sums it up. All the other crap that comes with this (code named sites, tours, people moaning about things being sold in the press and how it ruins places) is just distracting from the reasons a lot of people got into doing this.

Go out with your mates, have a laugh, see a site that's new or well visited, take some photos, post them online for others to see...Repeat...Job done.

Let everyone else get on with what they want to do, there ain't no rules in this game!