real time web analytics
Report - - Sutton Hospital - June 2017 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sutton Hospital - June 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RedX_unleashed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Greetings explorer's. I have been lurking on your wonderful website for quite some time so I guess it's about time that I started to share some of my own experiences. I've recently got back into exploring and I'm from the UK.

I expect quite a few of you have been in the middle of planning your next epic explore only to discover another location that just has to be jumped on immediately. Well that's exactly what happened to me here. I had a tip-off that the following location, Sutton hospital, was to be demolished very soon. Initial investigations revealed that 35% of the site had already been levelled...! So I jumped of course :D. My advice to explorer interested in seeing this place before it is completely erased, is to go now.

History

Sutton Hospital began it's life as a cottage style hospital back in 1899. It had only 6 beds but was expanded several times over the following century to cater for the needs of the surrounding population. At it's peak, the hospital had nearly 300 beds, though they did struggle to staff these properly.
In 1999 the hospital came under the authority of the the Epsom and St. Helier NHS Trust, however by 2008 the future of the hospital looked uncertain as improvements originally intended to improve the facilities at Sutton Hospital, were installed at St. Helier hospital instead (located further north). The site gradually fell into decay and several wings were closed, resulting in final closure by 2017.

The Explore

I have visited the site twice. Once to take pictures, and then a return visit two days later to capture video. If you are interested in seeing this, here it is:

Video

[video=youtube;cGrdRO1xlo8]

As I had scant information on any security around the site, I opted for another stealthy night approach. There are cameras and floodlights on some of the surrounding buildings and access is easier if you decide to take a risk with said securities. If you do not however, then prepare yourself for a wall of nettles and thistles with nailed planks lurking therein...

Photograph time. Lets start with a few externals

1. The approach
xADZMwwl.jpg

UWoRpzhl.jpg

bGlQSVsl.jpg

4. The smoking area. How times have changed. I enjoy'd a much needed vape here at the end of the trip :)
dygKA52l.jpg

eTUPb6Dl.jpg

Interiors - The Chiltern Wing

IhrPyurl.jpg

7. The elavator.
OSHAUiLl.jpg

NzIwlRKl.jpg

Tsmd3hMl.jpg

AqKyaF0l.jpg

11. This stairwell proved to be my biggest challenge. It's hard to tell in these shots, but in low light, and with blinds just above occasionally deciding to rattle like a skeleton, it was absolutely terrifying at times. More on this in the video above (if you like being scared)
KDZ4vMJl.jpg

9BvewUWl.jpg

14. Motor for the elevator.
IS7Cbj7l.jpg

15. One of the small offices upstairs. When I returned 2 days later, I found the blinds closed. No doubt so that the occupant could smoke his doobie in peace.
bigIhOPl.jpg

16. Ventilation room.
OvQBKQUl.jpg

The "Building of RedX"

17. Entry point.
AkG9Lrbl.jpg

18. I love this shot inside the Cafeteria. Although it is very slightly blurred, i find the lighting fascinating :)
OvdImb5l.jpg

Pyu0oQ3l.jpg

TE0hAy2l.jpg

Z2EL8SFl.jpg

22. Corridor leading to the reception.
dGtMtvwl.jpg

ezBkHBXl.jpg

eo63boyl.jpg

mP00nCol.jpg

Ok, now it's back to working on the explore I was working on before I was distracted by this! Take care people :)

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
WOW place is fucked. Amazing what difference a few months can make. I guess security aren't as on the ball a you think they may be!! haha