real time web analytics
Report - - Sutton Hospital, Surrey - February 2021 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sutton Hospital, Surrey - February 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Can I start by saying I was legitimately at Sutton hospital, my son has an operation on Monday and so he had a pre op covid test booked at the covid drive thru test centre here. These photos are literally stop the car at various points and quickly get out for a shot., to get to the test centre you have to drive round the perimeter road which is why I took the camera as I knew this already. Despite what some stupid people I have encountered recently on line have accused me of I can categorically say I have not broken any lockdown rules either today or at all since tier 4 and lockdown both came into effect. And, yes I've had my first vaccination and no, I have not jumped the queue.

now that's out the way, as I had to go here I thought id take the camera to capture its current state. the new school stands where I believe the eye hospital was if memory serves me well and the rest of it is behind those big wood fence panels. its very busy up there, the block at the back had some security shutter company there and there's lots of builders milling around. the car park seems to be used as a hub for the ambulances for the Marsden Hospital next door and there's a fair few security there but not sure if this is normal or they're there to protect the covid testers.

I apologise for any errors here, first time I've used the MacBook for posting, its taken me most of the night to figure out how to get the pics across to Lightroom and then back again. I did discover the built in watermark feature so that's a bonus. I shot these in raw but they've come across as jpeg and I didn't have the tripod with me either.

History :

Sutton Hospital
1899 - 2017

Acute, geriatric. Later, acute, mental

A Cottage Hospital for the area opened in 1899 in two semi-detached houses in Bushey Road, Sutton. The Hospital had six beds.

In 1902 it moved to new premises in Hill Road, becoming known as Sutton Cottage Hospital. It had 12 beds in four small wards and an administrative block.

In 1930 a larger hospital was built on the corner of Chiltern and Cotswold Roads. It opened in 1931 as the Sutton and Cheam District Hospital.

In 1938 the Nurses' Home was enlarged.

In 1939 the Hospital became the Sutton and Cheam General Hospital. During WW2 it had 130 beds as well as ten Emergency Medical Service beds for war casualties.

In 1948 it joined the NHS under the control of the St Helier Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the South West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. A maternity annexe was opened in a converted house which, before the war, had been a private nursing home. The annexe had 21 beds in single and double rooms (4 beds for private patients and 1 amenity bed). The garden of Cedar Court next door was acquired. The Hospital also took over some of the vacant buildings belonging to the neighbouring Downs Hospital for Children, which had closed the same year.

In 1953 two new wards were built. The Hospital then had 146 beds, of which 8 were for private patients and 4 were amenity beds. However, there was a great need for a new Out-Patients Department as the Casualty and X-rays Departments, the dispensary and Almoner's office, were all served by one narrow corridor, also used by patients going to the Pathology Laboratory. (There were some 34,500 out-patient attendances each year.)

In 1957, a new Out-Patients Department was built- a pre-fabricated 'Cornish unit' - at a cost of £16,500. A chapel also opened on the site.

In April 1959, after extensive alterations, the former Downs Hospital for Children re-opened as the Cotswold Wing. The Wing had 136 beds and was used to accommodate geriatric patients from the St Helier Group, the first of whom arrived on 1st July 1959. By the end of the year only one block had fully opened; the second block of 68 beds could not do so because of the lack of nursing staff. The Hospital then had 282 beds, including the new Wing.

In 1966 only 244 of the 282 beds were staffed. The weekly cost of an in-patient was £36 1s 0d (£36.05), compared to £34 9s 11d (£34.50) the previous year.

Work began on converting the ground floor of an empty block in the Cotswold Wing into an Ophthalmic Out-Patients Department. The new Department was opened on 26th April 1967 by Mr A.J. Cameron, senior ophthalmic surgeon to the Hospital, who had retired a few years earlier.

In 1970 the weekly cost of an in-patient was £51.63, which increased to £59.77 in the following year.

In 1974, following a major reorganisation of the NHS, the Hospital came under the administration of the Sutton and West Merton District Health Authority, part of the South West Thames Regional Health Authority.

In 1982, after another major reorganisation, it came under the control of the Merton and Sutton District Health Authority.

In 1983 a Day Surgery Unit was opened.

Further improvements were made in 1990 and work began on building an Orthopaedic Surgery Unit, which opened in January 1991.

In 1999, following yet another major reorganisation, the Hospital joined the Epsom and St Helier NHS Trust.

It was then known as Sutton Hospital and had 32 beds and a modern day surgery unit. Out-patient services are also provided - ophthalomogy, lithotripsy, pain control and laser treatment for dermatological conditions, as well as radiology and physiotherapy. There was also a Day Hospital for elderly patients. It was also a centre for mental health care provided for by the South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust.

Under the administration of the Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust, the future of the Hospital looked uncertain. It had been mooted that a new PFI-funded critical care facility should be built on the site to replace both the Epsom Hospital and St Helier Hospital. However, in a shock decision in October 2008, it was decided to improve facilities at St Helier Hospital instead.

Sutton Hospital was due to be sold off in 2016 to help pay for the redevelopment of St Helier Hospital, although part of the site may be retained for health service use. Negotiations are taking place between the Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust and the Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Foundation Trust to run a general treatment and diagnostic centre on the site.

As of March 2013 It was anticipated that 80% of out-patients attending St Helier Hospital will transfer here until the Ferguson Wing was rebuilt there. The new buildings at St Helier Hospital were expected to open in 2017, following which all services will transfer there and Sutton Hospital will close.

As a user of the Ferguson Wing at St Helier I'm not too sure this was completely accurate, certainly the service I use didn't move to Sutton.

The Hospital closed in 2017. Part of the site (1.6 hectares) was bought by Sutton Council for £8m. Planning permission was given to the Harris Foundation to build a new secondary school. The remaining land (6 hectares) will be used to enable the expansion of the Royal Marsden Hospital and the Institute of Cancer Research.

Attachments

• 6C17196E-3745-40F7-902F-B948B7370CF4.jpeg
    6C17196E-3745-40F7-902F-B948B7370CF4.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 35

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Fair play I hope the test came back negative and the operation goes ok , nothing at all wrong in my view with doing that a valid update :thumb

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
I'd been told it was undergoing demo a good few years back. Good to see it still standing.

scaler

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting. Looks very well sealed though
you would be correct, however. the hospital is compromised of 3 buildings, and on Halloween of 2020 I went there, i can happily explain where the entrance points are to you, some are harder than others, and defiantly scarier than others. only thing to look out for in the building is in some areas the floor is very weak, however if you can do the explore i encourage it. however getting in is only one fence, its quite open. so be careful. but entry is very simple. its a bit of bushwhacking tho haha. :) (edit) i wont be explaining them here if you are interest pm me

scaler

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
loved the report, its still accessible by the way, and its not crazy hard either. just watch out for the pigeons XD

scaler

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It has a new fence. Would appreciate a quiet pointer
well I'm not familiar with this new fence but the old fence only had anti climb paint on the actual fence portion and not the gate. there's 3 buildings and each point of entry is on a different level. one of the buildings features an extension, its visible from google maps satellite view. i would have a poke in the area past that extension, closer to the fence. i can send you some images if you DM me. but obviously if there's a new fence it all may be patched up by now

scaler

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
but you need to be looking up and down if you do go, the entrances are very hard to spot. but also quite obvious. and look out for glass, there are broken Windows you need to look out for.

Who has read this thread (Total: 436) View details