real time web analytics
Report - - Sutton Hospital, Surrey - November 2021 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sutton Hospital, Surrey - November 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Visted with chloe and ella.

Heard a rumour of people getting in so thought we would give it a go not expecting to have any success as haven’t managed it over the years but luck was on our side. Although we didn’t manage to get into the middle Block B, we managed the other two.

We spent a good few hours in here undisturbed. There’s a few bits and bobs left laying around and some of the rooms are really nice to see with others just a bit samey. The basement area that’s not a basement (strange set up) contained rooms and items of footwear for a dance school, seeing these rooms stirred a memory that I might have been there for a ballet or tap exam when I was very small. Was very familiar.

We did return to chance our luck at B but in the space of a week the fencing on the gates has been changed and we had no chance of getting past unfortunatel. Hope my pictures aren’t too over edited for here, I edited them and then sat on them in the hope we could do B but it wasn’t to be.

History -

Medical dates:
Medical character:
1899 - 2017

Acute, geriatric. Later, acute, mental
A Cottage Hospital for the area opened in 1899 in two semi-detached houses in Bushey Road, Sutton. The Hospital had six beds.

In 1902 it moved to new premises in Hill Road, becoming known as Sutton Cottage Hospital. It had 12 beds in four small wards and an administrative block.

In 1930 a larger hospital was built on the corner of Chiltern and Cotswold Roads. It opened in 1931 as the Sutton and Cheam District Hospital.

In 1938 the Nurses' Home was enlarged.

In 1939 the Hospital became the Sutton and Cheam General Hospital. During WW2 it had 130 beds as well as ten Emergency Medical Servicebeds for war casualties.

In 1948 it joined the NHS under the control of the St Helier Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the South West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. A maternity annexe was opened in a converted house which, before the war, had been a private nursing home. The annexe had 21 beds in single and double rooms (4 beds for private patients and 1 amenity bed). The garden of Cedar Court next door was acquired. The Hospital also took over some of the vacant buildings belonging to the neighbouring Downs Hospital for Children, which had closed the same year.

In 1953 two new wards were built. The Hospital then had 146 beds, of which 8 were for private patients and 4 were amenity beds. However, there was a great need for a new Out-Patients Department as the Casualty and X-rays Departments, the dispensary and Almoner's office, were all served by one narrow corridor, also used by patients going to the Pathology Laboratory. (There were some 34,500 out-patient attendances each year.)

In 1957, a new Out-Patients Department was built- a pre-fabricated 'Cornish unit' - at a cost of £16,500. A chapel also opened on the site.

In April 1959, after extensive alterations, the former Downs Hospital for Children re-opened as the Cotswold Wing. The Wing had 136 beds and was used to accommodate geriatric patients from the St Helier Group, the first of whom arrived on 1st July 1959. By the end of the year only one block had fully opened; the second block of 68 beds could not do so because of the lack of nursing staff. The Hospital then had 282 beds, including the new Wing.

In 1966 only 244 of the 282 beds were staffed. The weekly cost of an in-patient was £36 1s 0d (£36.05), compared to £34 9s 11d (£34.50) the previous year.

Work began on converting the ground floor of an empty block in the Cotswold Wing into an Ophthalmic Out-Patients Department. The new Department was opened on 26th April 1967 by Mr A.J. Cameron, senior ophthalmic surgeon to the Hospital, who had retired a few years earlier.

In 1970 the weekly cost of an in-patient was £51.63, which increased to £59.77 in the following year.

In 1974, following a major reorganisation of the NHS, the Hospital came under the administration of the Sutton and West Merton District Health Authority, part of the South West Thames Regional Health Authority.

In 1982, after another major reorganisation, it came under the control of the Merton and Sutton District Health Authority.

In 1983 a Day Surgery Unit was opened.

Further improvements were made in 1990 and work began on building an Orthopaedic Surgery Unit, which opened in January 1991.

In 1999, following yet another major reorganisation, the Hospital joined the Epsom and St Helier NHS Trust.

Present status (August 2008)

Today it is known as Sutton Hospital and has 32 beds and a modern day surgery unit. Out-patient services are also provided - ophthalomogy, lithotripsy, pain control and laser treatment for dermatological conditions, as well as radiology and physiotherapy. There is also a Day Hospital for elderly patients. It is also a centre for mental health care provided for by the South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust.

Now under the administration of the Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust, the future of the Hospital looks uncertain. It had been mooted that a new PFI-funded critical care facility should be built on the site to replace both theEpsom Hospital and St Helier Hospital. However, in a shock decision in October 2008, it has been decided to improve facilities at St Helier Hospital instead.

The Hospital remains partly active, but many of the old ward blocks are boarded up. Part of the Hospital will remain open until the new critical care wing at St Helier Hospital is complete.

Sutton Hospital is then due to be sold off in 2016 to help pay for the redevelopment of St Helier Hospital, although part of the site may be retained for health service use. Negotiations are taking place between the Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust and the Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Foundation Trust to run a general treatment and diagnostic centre on the site.

Update: March 2013

It is anticipated that from this year that 80% of out-patients attending St Helier Hospital will transfer here until the Ferguson Wing is rebuilt there. The new buildings at St Helier Hospital are expected to open in 2017, following which all services will transfer there and Sutton Hospital will close.

Update: January 2018

The Hospital closed in 2017. Part of the site (1.6 hectares) was bought by Sutton Council for £8m. Planning permission has been given to the Harris Foundation to build a new secondary school (Harris Academy). The remaining land (6 hectares) will be used to enable the expansion of the Royal Marsden Hospital and the Institute of

747_kirki

Death Valley is Mine
28DL Full Member
Still remember going in there for a blood test! Great report - thank you. Drive passed it often!

PureFilth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I love the look of this place. It's kind of the picture-perfect abandoned hospital. Love the photos as well, I think the one of the door ajar and the "stairs" sign on it is my favourite. Lovely stuff!

scaler

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
when i went in october of 2020, block b was the hardest one to get into, involved a window and a drainpipe if i remember right

Who has read this thread (Total: 448) View details