real time web analytics
Report - - Swan Hunter Shipbuilding cranes, Dec 07 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Swan Hunter Shipbuilding cranes, Dec 07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Last year I focosed much of my time and energy on exploring the remnants of the coal industry. I feel that I achieved much in that year, but with 2007 drawing to a close I have reached a point where I cant take coal much further, so I wanted to persue another fast disappering industry... SHIPBUILDING.

Swan Hunter is prob one of the most famous shipbuilders. Many famous ships have been built in the company's docks, but sadly no longer. The iconic 'swan necked' cranes are being sold to India.

Myself and Snapple, both passionate about industry made it our mission to scale one of those cranes, and it took some balls, but we did it! The site had a huge choice of cranes to choose from, but there was no real competetion for the huge red swan necked crane. The first 3 ladders are external, but you then enter inside it's belly for a further 4 ladders. At the top you reach the winding room, where the winding drum for the jib's cables is housed. It has a footprint as big as my house, and even has it's own small workshop inside!!:crazy

A tiny bridge takes you out to the cab, and then the ladders begin again up the jib. The second we started climbing the jib the wind hit me like a tonne of bricks! It was immense, blowing from what seemed to be every direction! The middle of the three ladders was the worst, as it did not run on the jib like the other two, but to the side. Because of this, the wind howled through the ladder up at you... it was scary as hell:eek: I noticed that something did not seem quite right, a certain swaying. Oh crist, the jib was moving in the wind! "It's moving!!" I shouted to Snapple... "Shut up, shut up" I heard faintly from above me! The view of the river and surrounding yards was nothing short of amazing, even if I could barley look down. The Ship Inn, the pub at the end of the shipyard looked like a matchbox from the top!
While we were at the top we saw the guard shining his torch around, seemingly unaware of our lofty vantage point. Nerve racking none the less. Getting down was even more frightning, but I was relieved when I reached the safety of the gantry at the bottom!

An amazing explore, one I will never forget and a fine start to my new found interes in shipbuilding explores!

DSC_0291-1.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0285-1.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0202-1.jpg

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0189-2.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0027-2.jpg

DSC_0026-2.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

In this view the old drydocks of A & P tyne can be seen.

DSC_0022-2.jpg

In the winding room, with it's own workshop!

DSC_0019-2.jpg

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

At first light

DSC_0055-1.jpg

I

industry

Re: Swan Hunter Shipbuilding cranes, REPORT

Dweeb - amazing!!

Palace Fan, here is a very poor photo of the SWL plate...

SWLPlate-600.jpg

Basically a maximum of 180 tonnes at a radius of 100' and the aux hoist would take a 10 tonne load at anything up to 235' radius - huge amounts of weight...