real time web analytics
Report - - Swinefleet Peat Works, Goole, August 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Swinefleet Peat Works, Goole, August 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The first mill established at the site of Swinefleet Peat Works was Bennett's Moss Peat Company in 1886, and since then it has been run by several different firms including Levingtons and Scotts, before its closure in 2000, though peat was taken from the site and processed at Hatfield Works until 2005. Information is scarce on the site, but it is known that the works were connected via railway to the moors by 3ft gauge railway, worked by horses and then diesel locomotives from 1950.

More recently, in 2002, a planning application was submitted for a change of use to a composting and recycling facility, though the application was withdrawn a few months later with the agent for the applicant noting that "consultations with the residents of Swinefleet suggest that they do not wish the site to be developed".

The site is situated approximately 4 miles from Swinefleet, along several single track roads off the A161, which may explain the then residents' reluctance for it to be put back in use again. If you decide to venture down here be warned that the surface water on the road was so deep I thought I had flooded my car. As you arrive you are greeted by a motorhome which I am reliably informed that someone lives in with two large dogs, though the site itself is unoccupied.

The first photo gives you an idea of the sort of scale of the site
36178953153_44b93321e3_b.jpg
edit-0918 by kdv100, on Flickr

Couldn't resist a car photo whilst I was there
36178989703_d0825e2968_b.jpg
edit-0916 by kdv100, on Flickr

Close up of all that asbestos
36799880786_4ed8abaf02_b.jpg
edit-0919 by kdv100, on Flickr

Inside was mostly wrecked and/or empty, but there were a few nice shots to be had
36178908423_ba4accc6ec_b.jpg
edit-0925 by kdv100, on Flickr

Creeped me out especially as I was alone
36847279061_3780f54eb6_b.jpg
edit-0927 by kdv100, on Flickr

More asbestos
36799808286_edb960446f_b.jpg
edit-0949 by kdv100, on Flickr

This is taken from the side of the building, the main entrance in being ahead from here
36816346542_d08b7296fc_b.jpg
edit-0957 by kdv100, on Flickr

Managed to catch it in good light
36847148541_94a771b31e_b.jpg
edit-0961 by kdv100, on Flickr

As you can see inside was vast, but mainly used as a dumping ground
36847115421_5c925a771b_b.jpg
edit-0971 by kdv100, on Flickr

Up on the platform which I had to use two fridges as steps to get onto
36816184992_eae22922c4_b.jpg
edit-0973 by kdv100, on Flickr

Obligatory feet shot
36816136802_7c06e9a90d_b.jpg
edit-0975 by kdv100, on Flickr

Apologies for the photo heavy report, but I hope you enjoyed it! Whilst there I saw two van drivers, the second much friendlier than the first, who was chatting away about how he had been coming for ages and seen it fall into further and further disrepair. He pointed out to me that large parts of metalwork and building support had been cut away to be sold for scrap, which may be why there are a number of platforms/ladders/steps missing. Overall the site is in a state of great disrepair and does not have much to it in terms of machinery, though the scale of it is vast and its location gives it some sort of charm - though I came across two vehicles whilst there it felt like one was always approaching due to the wind.

I would not recommend travelling far to visit here, though if you are passing it may be worth a quick look, even if it is only to take photos of your car, and I can hardly see anything happening except more scrap metal mysteriously disappearing for a long while - I feel as if the building will be salvaged by gypsies before any demolition is approved.

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers @pidgeonboy, I got somewhat distracted by the second set of visitors and before long it was time for me to go, although on the other hand I wouldn't want to flood the thread with the photos that have already been posted. Apart from the rubbish everywhere and walls missing it is much the same as previous reports.

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
Its always good to see other people accounts of places! Dont be scared to take many pictures

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I don't think it was photo heavy :thumb

I've often considered popping in here as I've got to drive up and down the m62 once a month. I might give it a look next time. Its surprising how little there is in the east considering its industrial heritage. Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible :)

Nice report. Asbestos is generally alright as long as you don't start poking it.

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks! It is indeed, I think there are a few unreported places but for for me based in hull it's quite sparse compared to other parts of the country.

If you're passing it might be worth a quick look, it's not too far from the M62. Plenty of asbestos on the floor but I just didn't step on it!

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Thanks! It is indeed, I think there are a few unreported places but for for me based in hull it's quite sparse compared to other parts of the country.

If you're passing it might be worth a quick look, it's not too far from the M62. Plenty of asbestos on the floor but I just didn't step on it!

There are a few bits and pieces. I had a poke about Lord Lines last time I drove through - the parts that were open at that time - and there are a couple of other buildings there too. The one opposite Lord Lines next to the Humber looked like it was worth a look. A few shady characters knocking about though.

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There are a few bits and pieces. I had a poke about Lord Lines last time I drove through - the parts that were open at that time - and there are a couple of other buildings there too. The one opposite Lord Lines next to the Humber looked like it was worth a look. A few shady characters knocking about though.

Must have been to Lord Line and St Andrew's Dock 20+ times over the past couple of years... seen more and more buildings go and others get broken into. Usually are a few people hanging around but I've never had problems - except when "security" turned up which consisted of a 20ish year old lad who was more nervous than me and an older guy in a manor properties hi vis who said he didn't mind people drinking smoking and shagging in there but that you couldn't go on the roof because he'd get a call to attend. No SIA licence and driving a white with blue skirting 54 plate van.

Cestria

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've passed this site a few times whilst working locally and can confirm that it's no different now. You do get to see the occasional cyclist coming down the access road, but it's fairly derelict and abandoned.

jaws

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've passed this site a few times whilst working locally and can confirm that it's no different now. You do get to see the occasional cyclist coming down the access road, but it's fairly derelict and abandoned.

We've been back a few times since, I think the locals that go there just use it for smoking/drinking/setting fire to things