real time web analytics
Report - - T D Ridleys and Sons Brewery Essex May 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - T D Ridleys and Sons Brewery Essex May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In 1811 William Ridley married Maria Dixon, the daughter of a mill owner at Hartford End. It wasn’t long before the couple took over the mill.
Son Thomas Dixon Ridley entered the world in 1814. He grew up to take charge of the business and in 1841 married Lydia Wells, who came from a Chelmsford brewing family.

Thomas built his own brewery close to the mill. A string of Essex inns was added over the years and TD Ridley & Sons Ltd became known for its mild, its bitter (named Ridley’s IPA along the way) and ales such as Witchfinder Porter and Old Bob.
Ridley’s employed up to 160 people – often generations of the same families – and had a turnover of about £17m in the 2000s. The man who locked up for the last time, when closure came, had been with the company for 48 years. Staff used to be invited to the big house at Christmas and parties were held for employees’ children. However due to the decline in Traditional Brewed English beer the brewery was sold to Greene King in July 2005 with the production of the brand transfered to Greene King .Use of the brands had ceased by about 2010. This was a really enjoyable explore and the first brewery i had been to , unfortunatly there was no bottles or kegs of beer left anywhere

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I remember a lot of their beers and drank quite a few of them. Definitely sunk a few pints of Ridley's IPA. Great explore and sad to see all this brewing heritage is no more...

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Another nice report. Love the white peel going on. Shame no kegs lol. looks like you had a good explore there. :thumb

mockney reject

Staff member
lovely one that :)

My local brewery, Mrs Ridley has her car serviced opposite where I work. She has some really interesting stories to tell

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I remember a lot of their beers and drank quite a few of them. Definitely sunk a few pints of Ridley's IPA. Great explore and sad to see all this brewing heritage is no more...
Yes i agree it is sad , the buildings where lovely