real time web analytics
T G Green Potteries, Derby - July 2012 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

T G Green Potteries, Derby - July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
A solo visit a couple of weeks ago.

A really pleasant place with lots to see and much bigger than I’d thought.

I didn’t see anything like all of it, but spent a long time just nosing through the paperwork and the moulds.

And making robots.

And weighing myself!

History
(from TGGreen.co.uk)

Cornish Kitchen Ware was first produced in 1926 by T.G.Green & Co in Church Gresley, Derbyshire, a county famed for its pottery.
The range’s special characteristic came from the lathe-turning process, which cut clean bands through its beautiful blue slip to show the white clay beneath.
It was apparently this that inspired the name, since it reminded one T.G.Green & Co. employee of the clear blues and white-tipped waves of Cornwall.

The range of kitchen and table ware, from the hooped plates to the iconic storage jars, was an immediate success and remained popular from then on.
This inspired T.G.Green & Co. to produce more colours of Cornishware, and more ranges, including the spotted Domino Ware and the cream and green Streamline Ware.

In the 1960s, Cornishware was updated by a young designer called Judith Onions.
It says much for her skill and sensitivity that this restyled range was embraced as warmly as the originals had been.
Over the past 20 years, the range has become highly prized by collectors, with the sighting of both rare original designs and Onions classics the subject of much excitement – and ever-increasing prices.

The story was not so happy for T.G.Green & Co. itself, however.
It had become increasingly difficult for the Victorian pottery in Derbyshire to compete in the modern age and,
after a series of owners had done their best since the Green family sold it in 1964, it finally closed in 2007.

Pics
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

A pile of bowls and a roll of sticky labels, well it would’ve been rude not to.
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

I really liked this - It said I’m just under 12 stone!
17.jpg

Grace’s guide says it’s this –

“THE RAILWAY GOODS WAREHOUSE MACHINE. –
First introduced by Messrs. Pooley at the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, 1835; and as the specimen exhibited shows, now greatly improved in design, construction, and exactitude.
It is 'dormant' except when put in gear by the man in charge.
The weighing-table forms part of the floor, and encumbers no space.
Its accuracy is equal to the best scale-beam, whilst labour and cost are economised at least 50 per cent.
It is only by means of these machines that the heavy merchandise traffic of railways could be despatched with adequate speed; it has,
therefore, become the machine of the goods trade generally, not only for railways, but for general commerce.â€

It even had a picture
18.jpg

Definitely worth a revisit (with the snack carrying Eeka next time)

Thanks for looking​