real time web analytics
General - - T.G. Green Pottery - Swadlincote - April 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - T.G. Green Pottery - Swadlincote - April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ninja

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
TG Greens Pottery, Swadlincote

The factory as it is today began life in 1864 when Thomas Goodwin Green was, rather suprisingly, on his honeymoon in Scarborough. He met a Mr Henry Wileman who owned a small pottery in Church Gresley, near Swadlincote, that had been built in 1790. Wileman was intending on selling the pottery, and Green, who had made a lot of money running a building firm in Australia, purchased it in 1864. For the next 25 years he built the firm up until it had to buy more land to expand using revolutionary new methods. Eventually the business became too large for Green to run on his own so he brought it Henry William King to assist him, and from then until 1964 the business was in the hands of the Green family and the King family.

In 1871 Green built a totally new works next to the old site as he wanted to produce white earthenware as opposed to the "rough" pottery being made. This is what makes up a large portion of the buildings on site from what I could tell. Green was an extremely self sufficient man, and dug his own brick clay, built his own brick kiln, and even sunk a small coal mine into his land to get coal to burn his home made bricks. Green died in 1902 and control of the business went to Henry William King and Roger Green, with help from King's son Percy. The outbreak of war slowed down the growth of the works, and it was not until 1924 that Cornish Kitchen Ware, which is what the works is most famous for, was produced.

Named Cornishware because a factory empolyee said it reminded them "of the clear blues and white-tipped waves of Cornwall", the iconic blue and white striped effect was caused by the lathe-turning process. The brand was revitalized in the 1960s by a designer called Judith Onions, but the Green family and the King family sold the works in 1964 and after that it became harder and harder for the Victorian pottery to survive in the modern world. In July 2007, the company went into receivership.

History courtesy of: ZerO81

My first proper 'splore and to be honest (after reading all the previous threads on this from a few years back) I didn't expect much, but wow, fascinating place, I was there a good couple of hours, nearly smashing my camera in the process!

056.jpg

003.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

032.jpg

034.jpg

037.jpg

040.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

046.jpg

052.jpg

050.jpg

055.jpg

Last edited:

JuJu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one, was thinking about this place yesterday. Did you bump into the man there at all?

Ninja

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I did earlier last week (told him what I was doing but he still told me to leave)

Went back recently and it was all mine!