real time web analytics
Report - - T.G. Greens Pottery Swadlincote - Sept 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - T.G. Greens Pottery Swadlincote - Sept 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bmichelle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Already did a report on this one after my last visit a couple of months ago but managed to find a few more rooms on a revisit.
I'll add the same history:
T.G.Green & Co Ltd originally operated from the village of Church Gresley, South Derbyshire between 1864 and 2007.
More famous for their blue and white striped 'Cornish Kitchen Ware' produced from the early 1920's (then known as 'E-Blue') the pottery produced many hundreds of patterns from Yellow wares, Victorian transfer prints, colourful hand painted Art Nouveau & vibrant enamelled Art Deco patterns, Wartime utility pottery, avant garde Retro designs and many well known Brewery wares, employing up to 1,000 local staff at the height of production.
Now, the old pottery site lays in ruins, the land under private ownership, never likely to ever see production again, the last of the South Derbyshire potteries has gone, although as it nears its 100th anniversary the traditional Cornishware is still manufactured and sold through a new T.G.Green & Co Ltd.

First off, noticed that the kiln on the left is falling through the broken floor, so that's going to be interesting when it does eventually fall completely.

Inside the main kiln and the tunnel kiln:

Upper Floor of the laboratory:

The beloved medical room, we were on a little hunt for this as I was gutted that we couldn't find it last time:

The canteen and 'kitchen':

Also came across this, assumed that when this part of the building was built/renovated they wanted to save money by using less concrete for the floor slab, so put down a layer of scrap pottery below the layer of concrete.

Finally, a couple of misc images:

Zoggy909

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well captured, I visited in 2012 before it got taken over.
Word of warning that the new owner is supposedly quite handy and isn’t scared of swinging a shovel

bmichelle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well captured, I visited in 2012 before it got taken over.
Word of warning that the new owner is supposedly quite handy and isn’t scared of swinging a shovel
Yeah he’s not a nice bloke! Been lucky enough to never run into him!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good job, in & out without incident, thats hows it done. Lovely extra shots there. Lighting gives a very atmospheric feel. :cool:

Who has read this thread (Total: 140) View details