real time web analytics
Report - - Taberner House Croydon - Dec 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Taberner House Croydon - Dec 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mashley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Taken from Wikipedia

"Taberner House was built between 1964 and 1967, designed by architect H. Thornley, with Allan Holt and Hugh Lea as borough engineers. Although the Croydon Corporation had needed extra space since the 1920s, it was only with the imminent creation of the London Borough of Croydon that action was taken. It has its upper slab block narrowing towards both ends. It was named after Ernest Taberner OBE, Town Clerk from 1937 to 1963."

Taberner house has been the home of Croydon council until very recently, they have all moved to a nice new shiny building that is apparently saving us, the residents of Croydonia money...

At present, the building is being prepared for demolition over the course of 2014 to make way for a new house development as part of the 2020 Croydon regeneration project.

Ater a few failed covert entries to other sites I thought I would try a different tactic and go in overt, then covert, you will be pleased to know this worked a treat, I do have to point out however that I ended up making friends with the building security who eventually gave me a pass and carte blanche to wander round the place which was rather nice !

I spent a good couple of hours in there, mostly on the roof and having a nose round the generator room which is pretty interesting by all accounts, below are a selection of shots from my visit which I feel represent the best bits of this building that is soon to be erased from landscape....

Floor 1 looking fairly deserted

IMG_3858_zpsa2d2329c.jpg

Not entirely sure what work was completed....

IMG_3865_zps99b1c0fe.jpg

Some nice looking valve readouts...

IMG_3879_zps7db416d3.jpg

There were tea stations on every floor, a lot of tea was drunk in this building.....

IMG_3880_zps6b09c08d.jpg

One part of the generator room

IMG_3993_zpsd6376222.jpg

Self portrait

IMG_3988_zps7014a153.jpg

The roof

IMG_3884_zps34562dd2.jpg

Croydonia from the roof of Taberner house looking toward the Purley way

IMG_3968_zps2b22e283.jpg

The centre of culture for Croydonia, aka the Fairfield Hall

IMG_3974_zps85a5753d.jpg

I didn't bother taking any exterior shots as there are plenty of them on google !

Thank for looking !