real time web analytics
Report - - Talgarth Asylum : Clock Tower, Admin and Chapel - 11/04/2010 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Talgarth Asylum : Clock Tower, Admin and Chapel - 11/04/2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Brecon and Radnor County Asylum, Talgarth

Visited with ImmortalOwl. I visited here in June of last year, shortly after all the roof tiles had been removed. That was in summer, and it was already drenched.

The 10 months since then has not been kind. As there is literally no roof, all of the rain that hits it (and remember, this is Wales we're talking about) pours straight into the rooms below. The harsh Welsh winter spelled the death sentence for the old hospital - the ceiling is now on the floor, wallpaper is folding away from the walls and a foul, black mould has crept across every door, wall and window frame.

One of the reasons I went back was to see how the rooms had changed, but I also wanted to see the admin block and chapel, and, most of all, to get up that clock tower. The admin block was in use as part of a business park when I last visited, which put the front of the hospital where the chapel is out of bounds. But the business park has now gone into recievership, leaving the handsome and impressive admin block open to 'splorers. I think it's listed as well, which means it's kept it's roof tiles, and as it's only been empty a matter of months it's intact too.

Here's the hospital's administration block, a fine slate-built building with stone detailings, handsome bay windows and an elegant clock tower, pictured circa 1910.

BRJCLA.jpg

I'll quickly purloin a history from my last report for those who are interested:

The hospital was designed by John Giles and opened on February 18th 1903, originally under the name Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum, but in 1921 it changed its name to the Mid Wales Asylum. It was originally designed to cater for only 352 patients, but by the end of 1925 there were 455, leading to serious overcrowding. In 1994 the number had dwindled to around 140. It closed it's doors on April 7th 2000. The site was then sold off to its previous chief medical officer for pittance, which was somewhat controversial in the local area.

From a report by the Auditor General for Wales compiled in 2002;

"Regarding the sale of the hospital to one of it's chief medical officers and his wife, the 43 acre site with 200,000 square feet of hospital buildings and floor space, plus 5 large family sized houses, a chapel, tennis court and cricket pitch, was bought for a cost of only £227,000 (two hundred and twenty seven thousand pounds). The slate tiles alone are valued at two million pounds."

I don't blame the guy tbh, though he should hang his head in shame at what he's let happen to the place. It's only a matter of time before admin gets fucked over too. But for the moment at least, it looks intact:

IMG_3296.jpg

Administration

The first thing people would see of the hospital is a stunning entrance hall, with it's original tiled floor:

IMG_3245-Copy.jpg

And this beautiful fireplace:

IMG_3249.jpg

The hand carved mantlepiece is absolutely stunning. Christ, I hope they don't let this place get pikeyed.

image.jpg

Coming off the entrance hall were these light and airy high ceilinged corridors:

IMG_3247-Copy.jpg

Which led to the plushest rooms in the place. This one was the Commitee Room, where the hospital governors would meet. On the other side was the Superintendents Office, but the Commitee Room was nicer, with it's marble fireplace and fine plasterwork. It still smelt of carpet. :cool:

IMG_3259.jpg

The other rooms downstairs were still very nice - wooden floors and doors etc:

IMG_3258.jpg

From the main entrance hall, a long tiled corridor led to some more offices, and the doors at the end join the main corridor network. It's quite odd - it goes from mosaic floors and polished wood to very derelict instantly through that door.

IMG_3245-2.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

The staircase is a handsome affair - polished wooden handrails, cast metal bannisters and again, more tiled floors.

IMG_3183.jpg

Upstairs is brightly lit, with more high ceilings and lots of wood. Spot the asylum-esque light fittings. :eek:

IMG_3238.jpg

Unfortunatley, unlike downstairs the original doors have had a sheet of plywood stuck over them. That said, it doesn't look too bad unlike some NHS modernisation, which is really shite.

IMG_3241.jpg

The upstairs rooms were fairly nice, with wooden floors and plush carpets, but it was the furniture that made it.

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

Clock Tower

IMG_3292-1.jpg

It was a bit of a mission to get into the clock tower. Actually getting to the tower was easy, it's up in the loft. But even before I began to climb the ladder to the actual clock, I could here it was buzzing. I stuck my head up, and it was absolutely swarming with flies. I'm not talking 30 or 40, I'm talking several hundred. A couple of others have done the tower but that was before the fly season began. This was as far as I got before they began flying into my mouth:

IMG_3231.jpg

I was about to give up and call it a day, when...

IMG_3203_picnik.jpg

Bingo. A full can of flyspray. It looked about 50 years old and is probably a banned substance, but it did the trick, and I killed the whole fucking lot of them. Worth it ? I think so.

IMG_3208.jpg

The clock mechanism is intact. I can see why people get excited about them, it's a beautiful little contraption.

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

Some ancient graffiti at the top of the tower:

IMG_3222-Copy.jpg

Main Stores

The Main Stores were behind admin. Not especially interesting, but quite a nice building and I don't think I've seen it before.

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

Continued below.

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Chapel

Like most asylums, Talgarth was a self-sufficient community and like most asylums, it had its own chapel.

IMG_3290.jpg

Inside, it's not exactly Cane Hill but it's better than most - well lit, amazing ceiling, hymn books etc:

IMG_3283.jpg

And looking towards the altar:

IMG_3280.jpg

Sophisticated humour that.

IMG_3260.jpg

There's loads of different bibles, hymn books, diaries and prayer books in there:

IMG_3269-2.jpg

The chapel was probably my favourite bit - it's much bigger in there than it looks.

Mortuary

The mortuary is a non-descript single storey building nexty to the chapel. It's not got any slabs left I'm afraid. :( It looks like it was used as a sandwich business at some point ? :confused But it does contain the sink that would have been used in the mortuary. What a nice place to prepare food!

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

A beautiful window in the entrance hall:

IMG_30632.jpg

Obligatory close up of Jesus:

IMG_3068.jpg

And that's all guys. Sorry about the amount of pictures, but by the looks of it admin is going to get pikeyed to death in no time so I thought I'd document it properly.

Thanks for reading,

George.

Last edited:

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Thank you so much for this. I was so sad to see in YouTube videos I watched of this place that, firstly, the beautiful newell posts shown in this photo had been removed:

5499331257_d4bdc67a33.jpg

I would be having the place serve as a sanatorium for a Welsh character in my storyline who is living in the 1910s with tuberculosis (instead of as a psychiatric asylum.)

You do know there is a genuine sanatorium built in 1903 just a couple of miles away!?

Sentamentalias

28DL Member
28DL Member
Such beautiful music accompanies the Talgarth Asylum images in this video...

[video=youtube;InXy6xIOgIk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InXy6xIOgIk&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]