real time web analytics
Report - - Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth - October 2017 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth - October 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

oshepherdphotography

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm sure that this one has been posted a few times but this was the first Asylum that I went too and I remember being gobsmacked about how this place was just left to rot.

History

From what i know when I did some research a few years ago, Talgarth was built in 1903 with its own water and electric supply as well as sewage and heating. The hospital took in a lot of patients who suffered PTSD or Shell Shock as it was known during the time after the first world war. In 1948, it became apart of the NHS and started doing different types of treatment such as occupational and art therapy. The hospital closed in 1999 due the over capacity and they just couldn't handle the surplus of patients. Its seems as well that there was a series of fires which effected the integrity of the buildings which now are just left to rot.

Explore

As this was my first every asylum explore i was a bit nervous but nerves were overcome with awe as we found our way into one of the main buildings. Talgarth seemed to be a popular site as there were signs posted on one of the gates advising to just admire the buildings from the road and not to enter due to the danger of asbestos and the unstable floors.

We made sure to be careful of our footing as it was obvious that the floors had been unstable due to the gaping holes in some rooms. I was amazed to find medicine bottles just left as well as office equipment from the 90s. The paint was peeling making the atmosphere of the whole place even moor gloomy.

We found one room that was covered in moss, plants and installation hanging from the ceiling, the fact that it was on the second floor makes it all the more astonishing. We didn't step foot in the room, I didn't trust the floors but it was just amazing and will always be my favourite part of the explore and I got a pretty good shot of it.

I'd love to go back now that I have more confidence, the whole time I was worried we would get caught, and to see the difference 3 years can make to a building like that. Plus I didn't manage to get into the main building as we were battling against the sun.

https://os-photography.co.uk/2017/10/talgarth-mental-asylum/

Images

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 16

xtrmhiker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice explore and photographs. Also your photography website is quite well done. Enjoyed the Red Dress Manor. Cheers from Miami, Florida, USA.

Who has read this thread (Total: 241) View details