Web
Analytics
Report - - Talgarth - The Mid Wales Hospital - May 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Talgarth - The Mid Wales Hospital - May 2011

Gh0sT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
Visited with The Invisableman.

DSC_0531_fhdr800x531.jpg


History.

The Mid Wales Hospital is a former psychiatric hospital in Talgarth, Wales. It was officially opened on 22nd February 1903 and was formally known as the Brecon and Radnor Joint Asylum and later Mid Wales Counties Mental Hospital before it became the Mid Wales Hospital in 1921. It is of an echelon (compact arrow) style. This type was widespread in England and Wales and provided convenient access to most areas in what were huge structures. They could also be extended without operational problems.

DSC_0267800x531.jpg


The complex was built on an estate of 261 acresknown as Chancefield.
The Mid Wales hospital was built to cater for 352 patients and in addition to the farm, service departments including a tailor, baker, shoe maker, printing shops, kitchen, laundry and church. There were market gardens which consisted of about 8 acres and an additional asset was a steam powered lorry, one of the first to be used in the area, which was mainly used to haul coal and other goods from the railway station in Talgarth.
The water supply was drawn from Pwll-y-Wrach waterfall and fed the hospital by gravity until 1970 when water was provided by the Water Board. The hospital also created its own electricity until 1961.

The Boiler House.

DSC_0008800x531.jpg


In April 1940, 315 beds were made available for military mental patients. Later during the war, the military section became a prisoner of war hospital. The war departments released most of their beds on 31st December 1946. In December 1955, the number of patients had reached 496 i.e. 25% overcrowded. Consequently Wards East 7 and 8 and an X Ray Department were added to cope with demand. A new treatment block was built in 1965 and an Occupational Therapy Department in 1971. The site was also home to the Mid and West Wales College of Nursing and Midwifery in later years.

DSC_0410800x531.jpg


DSC_0389800x531.jpg


In 1994 the total number of patients averaged 140 but 179 could be catered for. The services still available at this time (for both patients and the community) included treatments for the elderly mentally ill, rehabilitaion and continuing care, occupational therapy, dare care facilities, psychology, reflexology, physiotherapy, electro-convulsive therapy, chiropody and psychiatry. The Substance and Alcohol Misuse help centre was also based here.
With new health legislations coming into force in the 1980s/90s and 'Care in the Community' the hospital was wound down and the entire site closed for good in the mid 1990s. Some facilities moved into nearby Bronllys Hospital (formally South Wales Sanitorium). This is still open and run by the NHS Powys Local Health Board, whose Headquarters are also based here. Although there have been recent rumours of this hospital too closing.

DSC_0263531x800.jpg
DSC_0168531x800.jpg


As the main employer in the area, the town of Talgarth has suffered extensively since the closure. Hundreds of people lost there jobs through redundancy or early retirement. Many were transfered. Shops and businesses in the town closed and still there is a fight for the towns regeneration. In effect the town suffered the same affects as the mining town s of the South Wales Valleys.
The vast estate is now privately owned after being controversially sold for approx. £355,000 a number of years ago. The buildings have become run down and some derelict. There are signs of demolision throughout the site.
There have been plans to re-develop the site as business park, however the site lies on the edge of a town with a poor economy and situated in a rural area has made things difficult.

DSC_0094800x531.jpg


DSC_0058800x531.jpg


DSC_0302531x800.jpg
DSC_0319531x800.jpg


DSC_0256800x531.jpg


DSC_0144800x531.jpg


DSC_0287800x531.jpg


DSC_0155800x531.jpg


DSC_0380800x531.jpg


DSC_0243800x531.jpg


DSC_0359800x531.jpg


DSC_0376800x531.jpg


DSC_0419800x531.jpg


DSC_0239531x800.jpg
DSC_0130531x800.jpg


DSC_0555800x531.jpg


DSC_0500800x531.jpg


DSC_0544531x800.jpg


In the history it is mentioned that the hospital served to care and assist soldiers suffering with shell shock etc, the lone soldier grave is located at the back of the church. There have been calls to have the soldier moved to another cemetery, but nothing has happened to date.

Description Medal card of Lewis, Lewis J
Corps Regiment No Rank
Welsh Regiment 2940 Private
Welsh Regiment 241133 Private

Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/12

Casualty Details
Name: LEWIS, JOHN
Initials: J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment: Welsh Regiment
Unit Text: 6th Bn.
Age: 47
Date of Death: 20/10/1915
Service No: 2940
Additional information: Husband of Mary Jane Lewis, of 8, Pant St., Danygraig, Swansea.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: 79.
Cemetery: TALGARTH MENTAL HOSPITAL CEMETERY​

History Taken from : The Mid Wales Hospital Appreciation Site.

Thanks for looking/Reading.
 

Attachments