real time web analytics
Report - - Tarlair Open Air Swimming Pool, MacDuff - February 2013 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tarlair Open Air Swimming Pool, MacDuff - February 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

albannach

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tarlair Swimming Pool opened in 1931 at the base of a sea cliff just outside Macduff in Banffshire (now Aberdeenshire) in Scotland. This outdoor swimming complex was built in an Art Deco style with a main building backing onto the cliffs and changing rooms to its left hand side. Since 2007 it has been protected as a category A listed building. Not sure when it fell into disrepair but it has two pools, (apparently one is filled in, only a metre deep now). I love outdoor swimming so had to visit before it might get turned to rubble. Random location, I don't think it'll ever get redone, times have changed although I personally would use it all the time if I lived close. Two main buildings, access to one (pretty much a total derp inside). There is a community group trying to restore it, good luck I say, whole place is a bit of a derp - The council has greenlit plans for redevelopment but I doubt it'll happen. In it's heyday Wet Wet Wet played a festival here(how appropriate).
Heyday:

Anyway, on with the pics.

Sign_zps8819e6f5.jpg

Y'eve been telt! (I didn't swim, water looked manky but lower pool certainly gets washed out slightly by the tide)
Pool_zpsdb9b5b3d.jpg

View across plus main pavilion/tea house building
Wash_zpsc75ae09c.jpg

Main pool to the left, a freak wave came in and got me! Soaked my lens so hopefully shots came out ok
Handrail_zpsa76585b2.jpg

I got here late afternoon so not much light
Middle_zps16f21d0d.jpg

Looking over to the changing room building
Slide_zps705bbb47.jpg

Inside, an old slide and the stalls
Derped_zps6965a9c1.jpg

Some derped old controls
Pump_zpsbaec6d98.jpg

Pump that helped clean the main pool
Pipes_zps076292a5.jpg

Pipes on the outside of the pump
All_zpsc49dd711.jpg

Site would be good for some long-exposures shots, and maybe to camp at during summer

Cheers!