real time web analytics
Report - - Tate Modern Extension Tower Crane, London Southbank, May '12 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tate Modern Extension Tower Crane, London Southbank, May '12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

AndrewB

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tate Modern an old power station now an art gallery is situated on the southbank, Its having an ugly ''Pyramid'' extension built.

Known about the 2 cranes on this site for a while before I had actually bothered to check them out, finally had the chance to last week. First recce I could clear see the crane was leaning to one side a fair bit, didn't really think much of it at first. Fast forward a few days and I had gone to do only to be stopped by a film crew and general people hanging about all around the site hmm. Few days later turned up again, and the crane was gone... argghh shit! would have to settle for the slightly smaller crane.

Turns out the bigger crane had a major accident during testing and nearly collapsed causing the severe bend. Pic below yoinked from SSC

Bent.jpg

The crane riggers were still on site when we arrived, not appearing to do anything we went for it hoping not to be seen dicking about on their crane.

The crane itself felt really odd, we could see from the ground that it was slighty bent back a little, probably normal with these type of crane. Creaking, and at the counter balance end was twisting and moving up and down in the wind making photography difficult so it affected my pictures which I'm not entirely happy with them. Anyway, was good to go out and see Adders again.

Pics.

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details