real time web analytics
Report - - Tees Transporter Bridge Middlesbrough- Sept 2010 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tees Transporter Bridge Middlesbrough- Sept 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Sniper

28DL Member
28DL Member
Report- Tees Transporter Bridge Middlesbrough- Sept 2010

After reading Gone's report on the bridge I was dying to give it go and thought it would make a nice first report :) Did a bit of research on the internet and had a drive up there the day after to check it out. There was a bloke at the foot of the bridge who worked there so I asked him to show me around quick and it gave me a good chance to look at how to get up properly, looked simple.. and it was.
I went up during the day, thinking I wouldn't get caught if I waited until the gondola was at the other side, and vice versa when I climbed down. It wasn't the best idea, when I got down I was confronted by one of the blokes that worked there. Luckily I managed to talk my way out and got away with a warning and a threat to phone the police if he saw me again (oops) :banghead If anyone wants to climb the bridge I'd recommend going at night (or not getting caught lol)

The place and its history has been well covered before in previous reports but as its my first report I should make the effort :)

History:
Following a 1907 Act of Parliament the bridge was built at a cost of £68,026 (£5,330,000 as of 2010), by Sir William Arrol & Co of Glasgow between 1910 and 1911 to replace an earlier steam ferry. A transporter bridge was chosen because Parliament ruled that the new scheme of crossing the river had to avoid affecting the river navigation. The opening ceremony on the 17 October 1911 was performed by Prince Arthur of Connaught.
The Tees Transporter Bridge has an overall length (including cantilevers) of 851 feet (259 m), leaving a span between the centres of the towers of 580 feet (180 m), the beam of the bridge being carried at a height of 160 feet (49 m) above the road. This combined with an overall height of 225 feet (69 m), makes this bridge the second largest example remaining in the world; the largest being the bridge across the River Usk, at Newport in South Wales.
During WW2 the superstructure of the bridge was hit by a bomb. In 1953, the gondola got stuck half-way. While it was stuck, gale force winds lashed water to within inches of it.
In 1974, the comedy actor Terry Scott, travelling between his hotel in Middlesbrough and a performance at the Billingham forum, mistook the bridge for a regular toll crossing and drove his car off the end of the roadway, landing in the safety netting beneath.
In December 1993, the bridge was awarded the Institution of Mechanical Engineers' highest honour, The Heritage Plaque, for engineering excellence, in recognition of the Council's efforts in keeping the bridge in good working order. Its historical importance was also recognised in 1985 by its listing as a Grade II listed building and its prominence as a local landmark was further enhanced in 1993 by the installation of flood lights that operate during the winter months.
It has featured in films and TV programmes including Billy Elliot, The Fast Show, Spender and Steel River Blues. In the millennium celebrations of 2000, fireworks were fired from its length. The storyline of the third series of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, saw the bridge dismantled to be sold to and re-erected in the USA. The local council received calls from people worried that the bridge was really being pulled down, with the BBC adding a disclaimer on the end of the final episode of the series stating that 'The Transporter Bridge remains in Middlesbrough'.
The Transporter Bridge has a safety announcement, and until recently, it was a southern voice. Middlesbrough council decided it was time to change the voice, and held a competition for the new voice. The competition was won by a Middlesbrough man, Brian Hall, who was one of the last few finalists in the competition for the speaking clock in 2006. In 2008 Brian and his son, Sam, took part in a fundraising zipwire event off the Transporter Bridge , raising over £500 in doing so.
The bridge is currently owned by Middlesbrough Council and Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council. Middlesbrough council has control of the day-to-day operations and maintenance.
tb1.jpg
tb2.jpg

tb3.jpg
tb4.jpg
As soon as I got to Middlesbrough loads of things caught my eye at once and I wish I would of had the time to check them all out but I will be returning soon to check them all out. The place is full of explores and climbs!

I'm going to get stick for these pictures as they aren't the best. I don't own a camera so all these pictures are taken on my phone, I try make the most of the settings I've got :D
Comments would be good on the pictures, cheers people.

Some shots of the bridge from the bottom;

DSC00747.jpg

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00750.jpg

DSC00749.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

Shots of the climb up and some from the top;

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00797.jpg