real time web analytics
Information - - telescope in Puerto Rico set to be demolished after structure becomes unsafe | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - telescope in Puerto Rico set to be demolished after structure becomes unsafe

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Sam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This chap explains it really good in simple terms and in totally over my head terms.

Lerosbif

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well apparently the structure has collapsed of its own accord before they had a chance to demolish it properly
telescop.jpg

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
The collapse was caught on a permanent camera. Theis YouTube video then ends with drone footage of the wreckage:

Guess it's pretty obvious now why it is being decommissioned.

To be fair it has been operating since the 1960s and has more than justified it's cost. This is where gravitational waves were first indirectly detected in 1974 - which means a lot to physicists as it was the final missing link to the Standard Model of Particle Physics (I wont go into too much detail). There is a replacement large-aperture radio telescope located in China that came online in 2016, and at 500m diameter is a fair bit larger than this one.

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The large dish may have been lost, but, there are 2 other experiments running close by that are still very active.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Spectacular video of it. As much as its sad to see the demise I love videos of collapses and stuff like that.