real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Templer Barracks, Intelligence Corps Depot, Ashford Kent - visit 2002 - Part 2 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Templer Barracks, Intelligence Corps Depot, Ashford Kent - visit 2002 - Part 2

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

messym

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These are the juicy photos. These were taken in the compound belonging to the Joint Services Interrogation Organisation (JSIO). These chaps (and ladies) were often reservists, trained in tactical debriefing of refugees and prisoners of war. They shared this compound with the "conduct after capture wing". These weren't for training regular soldiers, but those deemed "prone to capture" such as special forces and special duties personnel.

Anyone familiar with the Baha Mousah enquiry will be interested to see where the Army's interrogators learnt their trade.

The compound contained a larger building which housed a cell block complete with interrogation rooms and smaller locked "sheds" around the outside. Someone else looking around with me had also served here and remembered being locked into one of the external sheds to disorientate him and weaken him during one such course.

DSCF0062_zpsa518002b.jpg

DSCF0060_zps06ef4a8c.jpg

DSCF0059_zpsee03a87e.jpg

Cell block corridor

DSCF0055_zps7f0c5139.jpg

DSCF0054_zps70006754.jpg

External holding cell, where students were held before being taken blindfolded to the internal cells for "questioning"

DSCF0053_zpsa5aeaf1d.jpg

Reception area, where "students" were brought into the compound on the back of lorries. This was a compound within a larger camp.

DSCF0051_zps1e519a12.jpg

JSIO compound, in the rear left is the roof of the cell block with the external "cells" on the outside.

DSCF0049_zpsf2f888e5.jpg

During an exercise, the entire compound could be locked down and was "out of bounds" to regular camp personnel.

DSCF0048_zps614be734.jpg

Training Wing, Defence Intelligence & Security School

DSCF0044_zpsd24ff3fa.jpg

Armoury, where I once had a chance to play around with AK-47's, HK-53's, MP5K's and Sig P228's.

DSCF0032_zpsb657d5fd.jpg

DISC building which housed the BRIXMIS museum, Depot Training Wing and from memory, the photographic section.

DSCF0030_zpsb3ef4970.jpg

Junior ranks dining

DSCF0029_zps62325a5f.jpg

DSCF0027_zpsc0400b49.jpg

Looking across to the Brigadier's House and Officers Quarters. The Channel Tunnel rail line went right through which is why the Intelligence Corps moved to Chicksands in Bedfordshire before these were taken.

DSCF0026_zps528767d9.jpg

Gym

DSCF0012_zpsaf1be127.jpg

DSCF0011_zps9755e4e9.jpg

Contraband box by ammo store

DSCF0010_zpsfca9870f.jpg

Ammo store

DSCF0009_zps99e28b70.jpg

Most secret building on the camp. Guarded by a very fierce female NCO PTI. Many covert entries were carried out during various relationships. I'm saying no more ;-)

DSCF0015_zpsef233964.jpg

DSCF0014_zps65f7e268.jpg

DSCF0013_zps78dc4d74.jpg

My time in the Corps was relatively brief, I transferred out but happy memories..

Last edited:

messym

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The last photo was of the entrance to the WRAC block but my broadband decided to go down as I was trying to edit the photo :-/

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
My mate did his interrogators course here. For starters he was driven down from Brecon tied up and blindfolded, and not in the recreational way.

One Flew East

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic. I commented on your first post too. Are you able to give us any clues as to what rough year you were there?
Re-post the photo of the entrance to the WRAC block, by the way, the most important building on site, surely? ; )

Last edited:

messym

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was there early 90's, when the camp was very much active. DISC (Defence Intelligence & Security School) was open to foreign students and the general rule was "if in doubt, salute everything that moves in case as you can't tell if they're officers or not". SIW were still training dodgy looking blokes resembling Mexican bandits and JSIO were still practising bondage. The WRAC block had some interesting foliage growing from the ceiling and walls (and that was before the relocation!)

I'll put the remaining photos up this evening.

Richard Stainforth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Crumbs, it's a walk down memory lane here - just seen a post for RH Haslar where I did my medical training in the army (well, some of it anway) and now this - I had my Int Corps selection interviews here in 1992! I got well and truly smashed on Newcastle Brown in the NAAFI and vomited in my bed that night....ahh, the memories :)

jay151171

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was there early 90's, when the camp was very much active. DISC (Defence Intelligence & Security School) was open to foreign students and the general rule was "if in doubt, salute everything that moves in case as you can't tell if they're officers or not". SIW were still training dodgy looking blokes resembling Mexican bandits and JSIO were still practising bondage. The WRAC block had some interesting foliage growing from the ceiling and walls (and that was before the relocation!)

I'll put the remaining photos up this evening.
Was there 1990 ! Hilarious memories

Chrissie572

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was stationed here in 1975 - part of the second group of females to be trained for the Intelligence Corps and I remember a lot of these buildings. Great to see the photos!

DirtyWash

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was there 1990 ! Hilarious memories
When I was there it was Still JSIW & a skeleton regular staff to train the reservists (some RAF FLIGHT HMS Ferret for Navy ops. And 22 int coy for pongos like me based in Handle st. London Bloomsbury.

johnthecruiser

28DL Member
28DL Member
The last photo was of the entrance to the WRAC block but my broadband decided to go down as I was trying to edit the photo :-/
It was JSIW in Ashford. Renamed JSIO on move to Chicksands to incorporate all facets of HUMINT and other Intelligence collection methods. I agree though that your final photos required the best covert entry skills! Guard Duty became so much fun - long live the WRAC!