Web
Analytics
Report - - Tenpin Bowling Alley - Chelmsford, Essex - August 2017 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Tenpin Bowling Alley - Chelmsford, Essex - August 2017

Supersonic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Not much history that i can find on this place.
The alley was located in Chelmsford, Essex and opened in the early 1990's (according to local knowledge)
the centre opened under the name Megabowl but a change in ownership and it was re-named 'Tenpin'.
It was a 36 lane bowling alley with a laser tag arena, pool tables, penny fall machines and lots of other arcade machines.

Rumors over the last few years were that the alley was in financial trouble, the number of visitors soon declined and prices rised.
A rival bowling alley opened up on the other side of Chelmsford in October 2016 which pushed business away from Tenpin.
The alley reported it had shut at the end of July 2017 and the place was gated off by the first week of August.

Today

The alley has been stripped out and all the machines and even the alleys themselves had been taken apart and presumably sold.
As i'm writing this demolition has started and the inside has been torn down and the car park has been dug up. It's not been released what the unit will turn into or if the whole unit will be knocked down or not as the building itself is rented and the owner wants something different there.

The Explore

We had our eye on this place ever since the local paper reported it may be closing in February 2017, a month had passed and we had forgotten that it was possibly closing until we saw that in March Tenpin confirmed that they were closing but didn't confirm a date.
Scoot forward a few months to August and we were ready to explore the complex.
The explore wasn't planned for that day but we went down after someone had posted some pictures to Facebook of it closed and wanted to see it before it was locked down.

Explored with a couple of people from the usual crew.
Enjoy the pics.

Dave563

Some things are best left untouched!
28DL Full Member
Good timing on getting in there mate. Nice report

Supersonic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yo can I get a postcode for this place? Heard most of it has been taken down now, but worth a try!
It’s all been stripped and converted into something else. What I don’t know. Just google tenpin Chelmsford for the post code