real time web analytics
Tenterden Train Graveyard - Tenterden, Kent - March 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Tenterden Train Graveyard - Tenterden, Kent - March 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WilsonTheHuman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place seems to have been done a lot recently but hey, this has been on my list to visit for /ages/ so myself and my two exploring buddies piled in to the car and off we went. Here's some history on the place:

The Kent & East Sussex Railway opened in 1900 as England’s first ‘light railway’, serving the rural communities of East Sussex and Kent. Closing to passengers in 1954, the line was saved and reopened by a charitable organisation in 1974. It now operates steam hauled and diesel observation trains on a 10.5 mile line from Bodiam Castle in East Sussex to the historic market town of Tenterden in west Kent.

Just a little walk down the line from the preserved station on a disused, no longer maintained section of track, lie four ex train carriages. Lined up neatly, they sit nestled amongst the trees, quietly being reclaimed by nature. These gigantic pieces of machinery are quite something to behold, the chassis alone standing just under 6 foot above the rails. Although they are now mostly down to the metal chassis and rotted wood, they still have a charm to them.
IMG_8896.JPG

IMG_8879.JPG

IMG_8880.JPG

IMG_8882.JPG

IMG_8884.JPG

IMG_8885.JPG

IMG_8888.JPG

IMG_8892.JPG

IMG_8893.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

IMG_8899.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8904.JPG

IMG_8905.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

IMG_8910.JPG

IMG_8913.JPG

IMG_8914.JPG

IMG_8918.JPG

IMG_8920.JPG

IMG_8924.JPG

IMG_8929.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG

IMG_8936.JPG

IMG_8939.JPG

IMG_8940.JPG

IMG_8941.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

seaside_rambler

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They’re getting progressively worse and it looks like one loco has gone, hopefully for restoration? Good to see it again, there’s a bit more if you check the rest of the line ;)

WilsonTheHuman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They’re getting progressively worse and it looks like one loco has gone, hopefully for restoration? Good to see it again, there’s a bit more if you check the rest of the line ;)

I believe one of the more complete carriages was removed because it was getting vandalised, I believe it has indeed gone for restoration, which is good. I'll definitely be back there to check out the other stuff on the line, that day we had other locations lined up and a long drive back up to Luton ahead so we'll go back when summer is in full swing and we have more daylight!

Kat18

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place seems to have been done a lot recently but hey, this has been on my list to visit for /ages/ so myself and my two exploring buddies piled in to the car and off we went. Here's some history on the place:

The Kent & East Sussex Railway opened in 1900 as England’s first ‘light railway’, serving the rural communities of East Sussex and Kent. Closing to passengers in 1954, the line was saved and reopened by a charitable organisation in 1974. It now operates steam hauled and diesel observation trains on a 10.5 mile line from Bodiam Castle in East Sussex to the historic market town of Tenterden in west Kent.

Just a little walk down the line from the preserved station on a disused, no longer maintained section of track, lie four ex train carriages. Lined up neatly, they sit nestled amongst the trees, quietly being reclaimed by nature. These gigantic pieces of machinery are quite something to behold, the chassis alone standing just under 6 foot above the rails. Although they are now mostly down to the metal chassis and rotted wood, they still have a charm to them.
IMG_8896.JPG

IMG_8879.JPG

IMG_8880.JPG

IMG_8882.JPG

IMG_8884.JPG

IMG_8885.JPG

IMG_8888.JPG

IMG_8892.JPG

IMG_8893.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

IMG_8899.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8904.JPG

IMG_8905.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

IMG_8910.JPG

IMG_8913.JPG

IMG_8914.JPG

IMG_8918.JPG

IMG_8920.JPG

IMG_8924.JPG

IMG_8929.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG

IMG_8936.JPG

IMG_8939.JPG

IMG_8940.JPG

IMG_8941.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG
Do you have the location? Have been wanting to go here but can’t find where it is

The_Raw

Staff member
Do you have the location? Have been wanting to go here but can’t find where it is

People don't tend to give out specific details of locations publicly. My advice would be to check google maps satellite view for train tracks in the local area ;)

Have a read of this if you haven't already - https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/28-days-later-survival-guide-for-newbies.121920/

Edit: I just had a quick look and found it in 2 minutes. All part of the fun finding stuff yourself :)

Last edited:

Giymo85

Amateur and proud
28DL Full Member

Keeping in mind that the thread title names the town these sit in, it really isn't difficult to work out. If you know the place and know that these sit at the end of a rail line, how hard can it be?

Hop on Google Maps and follow the lines and you can't really go wrong.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Great report their good history just being left to rust what a shame but well worth seeing by
Looks of it

WilsonTheHuman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report their good history just being left to rust what a shame but well worth seeing by
Looks of it
Thanks mate! Deffo worth a trip. There are more trains further up the line but we didn't get to those due to having other locations lined up and a druve to Luton to get home ahead of us! I'm planning a trip back there to see the other trains in the summer and visit the restored station as I enjoy that sort of thing too.

WilsonTheHuman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry, I don't give out locations publicly, if you're new to this hobby you need to know that asking for locations is pretty frowned upon. Half the fun is finding places yourself! The name of the town is in the title of this report, use that and get yourself on google maps, you should find them quite easily from there.

Down and beyond

Regular User
Thanks mate! Deffo worth a trip. There are more trains further up the line but we didn't get to those due to having other locations lined up and a druve to Luton to get home ahead of us! I'm planning a trip back there to see the other trains in the summer and visit the restored station as I enjoy that sort of thing too.
Hello mate I do a lot of magnet fishing on old railway line bridges have found some great old cast iron signs etc if your into your railway stuff might be worth a think Luton that’s around a hour from my area so not to far away !

WilsonTheHuman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello mate I do a lot of magnet fishing on old railway line bridges have found some great old cast iron signs etc if your into your railway stuff might be worth a think Luton that’s around a hour from my area so not to far away !
Awesome, haven't tried magnet fishing yet but would love to give it a go. I live in Dunstable, which is about 15 mins from Luton :)

Down and beyond

Regular User
Ahh yes worked their a lot have ya seen my two posts I made ? Magnet fishing good but can be cold lol

Who has read this thread (Total: 545) View details