Web
Analytics
Report - - Terrys, York | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Terrys, York

TCAKE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
this is a combo of 2 visits, awesome place and huge and a cracking clock tower.
visited with usual partner in crime tassadar also the stig ,nic81 and keitai
had a great time with both drop ins so heres some history and some pics

hope u like

Joseph Terry, who was born in Pocklington, came to York to serve as an apprentice apothecary in Stonegate, before setting up shop as a chemist in Walmgate. His life took a different turn in 1823 when he married Harriet Atkinson, a relative of Robert Berry who had a small confectionery business. He gave up his Walmgate operation and joined Berry business in St Helen Square. Shortly afterwards Robert Berry died and his son George joined with Joseph in a businees with the wonderful name of Terry & Berry - unfortunately George left the business in 1828.

Joseph Terry was on his own, and soon enjoyed a reputation for cakes and comfits, sugared sweets, candied peel, marmalade and medicated lozenges. He quickly made use of the railways, sending small quantities of his products to towns all over the North of England, into the Midlands and down to Luton and London.By the time of his death in 1850, the Terry name was becoming known around Britain. It was his son, Joseph junior, who built on these foundations and expanded it into a major concern. Within four years of taking over, Joseph leased a riverside site at Clementhorpe. The Ouse allowed a connection to the Humber estuary and the North Sea. Twice a week, the steam packet brought the sugar, cocoa, other ingredients and coal needed for the new steam-powered machinery at Joseph Terry & Sons.
The price list of 1867 had 400 items but, at the time, only 13 were chocolate. As products were perfected and demand grew, a specialised chocolate section was built. The St Helens Square premises were retained as a shop and restaurant (the Terry name is still on the front of the building). In 1926, Terrys moved again, to a purpose-built factory off Bishopthorpe Road. It was here that some of the most enduring brands were created: All Gold was first produced in 1930, the Chocolate Orange a year later.Terrys was taken over by multinational food corporation Kraft in 1993, which closed the York factory on September 30, 2005, with production moving to other
plants in Europe.

anyway heres my take on the place , cheers guys

P42979742.jpg
_3207536.jpg


_3207535.jpg
_3207531.jpg


_3207528.jpg
_3207520.jpg


_3207513.jpg
_3207508.jpg


_3207507.jpg
_3207501.jpg


_3207490.jpg
_3207480.jpg


_3207472.jpg
_3207464.jpg


_3207459.jpg
_3207443.jpg


_3207440.jpg
_3207438.jpg


_3207426.jpg
_3207416.jpg


_3207412.jpg
_3207408.jpg


_3207406.jpg
_3207400.jpg


:thumb
 

Attachments

Similar threads