real time web analytics
Report - - Thames Steel..Sheerness, March 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Thames Steel..Sheerness, March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A bit of an older post but this was a bit of a classic place. Not on the scale of the nationalised steel works at the time but still a good size with a lot to see. Visited with my usual two friends ( we have been exploring together for seven years now ), and two other friends joined us. I was using a Fuji X10 then which was a fixed telescopic compact. So at 28 mm at its widest, was not ideal, but guess you have to make do. But some places you wished you could go back and this is one.

Thames steel started life on a former dockyard as a steelworks in 1971 and became fully commissioned in 1972 after being opened by the Duke of Edinburgh. The site made steel from scrap metal using an electric arc furnace. The scrap metal was brought in by water or rail. The steel works went through several owners over the years. It eventually closed in 2012 after the Saudi owned company that backed the latest take over went into administration with the loss of 400 jobs. It was rumoured that the plant might open again. This did not happen and it was demolished at the cost of 37 million to the land owners Peel Ports. I think it was repurposed for car storage.

A few externals first

In to the main part. This were the forging took part and the arc furnace was located. A lit of large ladles are about here.

The rather colossal rolling machines.

The cooling conveyor

Finishing area.

Situated to the centre of the site is some offices and canteen and staff areas.

Right to the rear is this smaller block hidden away. We was not sure what would be in here. Turns out it was the upper management block with more offices and the directors board room which was rather plush.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Another great back cat. Again so clean, you explored it 3 yrs after closing, the site must of had tight security or sealing. The photo are great, nothing wrong with them. Great bit of industry. That's a lot of dosh for demo!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another great back cat. Again so clean, you explored it 3 yrs after closing, the site must of had tight security or sealing. The photo are great, nothing wrong with them. Great bit of industry. That's a lot of dosh for demo!
Thank you Jane. It was clean as not trashed or full off graffiti. But what a dirty don't and dustry place. I ain't sure if that was just demo or the redevelopment as well.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Thank you Jane. It was clean as not trashed or full off graffiti. But what a dirty don't and dustry place. I ain't sure if that was just demo or the redevelopment as well.
I understand that, my boy works in a huge metal shop, he is a team leader and has to wear special masks in places, but my god my poor washing machine got battered. Brought a new one, now I have to shake every piece of clothing like mad outside before washing. Those dusty splinters get everywhere! But I find the end products fascinating

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I understand that, my boy works in a huge metal shop, he is a team leader and has to wear special masks in places, but my god my poor washing machine got battered. Brought a new one, now I have to shake every piece of clothing like mad outside before washing. Those dusty splinters get everywhere! But I find the end products fascinating
God I can imagine the washing is a nightmare and the clothes very dirty.