real time web analytics
Report - - The assembly of God Pentecostal church anD Sunday School, Afreton, July 2020. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The assembly of God Pentecostal church anD Sunday School, Afreton, July 2020.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
HISTORY
Very hard to pin down any real history for this location as other have said but doing some research into old maps and online i've managed to add to the little there is.

Built as a manor house in the early 18th century it Boasted 8 stables, A coach house with living accommodation above for the stable hands and also a smithy shop, Looking at old maps it was listed as such until around 1890 when the smithy shop was demolished to extend the garden, In 1940 the manor house became a Pentecostal Church and Sunday school where worship took place in the lower floors and Sunday school in the upper front rooms, The rear rooms (added around the Victorian era) were the living quarters for the family. Worship ceased around 2013, Although the living accommodation looks to have been unused for a lot longer. Looking into old maps the left hand side of the garden was split and a bungalow was added sometime in the 70's or 80's, this still stands and the end of there back garden would of been where the smithy shop once stood.

EXPLORE
So i have actually been here before, November 2019 when i came down to photograph Crich quarry, we ventured into Alfreton to try find a shop and drove right past. On the way back we did stop and have a nosy about but the neighbour in the bungalow was mooching around the garden so we left it. Heading back to Crich with a friend last week and passed again so we stopped and had a look about. No one around this time so we had a nosey around the old coach house and then ventured inside. It looked its age to be honest with some areas giving way due to water ingress and decrepid conditions, The upper floors have faired better but after showing a friend my shots he said that a lot of stuff had either been moved or stolen. The light was just right also it would of been a really dark and dreary explore other wise and the sun gave the wooden furniture a healthy glow. The lower floors were in darkness having been boarded up so a little long exposure was needed, Alas i had left my tripod in the car so i had to try my best without one, over all a nice little explore , quiet and relaxing with plenty of places to sit and look about and reflect.

god church-2.jpg

god church-4.jpg

god church-6.jpg

god church-13.jpg

god church-16.jpg

god church-21.jpg

god church-22.jpg

god church-25.jpg

god church-31.jpg

god church-32.jpg

god church-36.jpg

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great pix but sad to see the idiots have been in smashing plates and up-turning the bath.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice report. Surprising what info old maps provide. I love this little place. I was meant to do 2 road trips April for 2 weeks & may for 2 weeks, really wanted to do this place. Oh hum. Maybe next year if its still about and worth a trip.

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
Nice report. Surprising what info old maps provide. I love this little place. I was meant to do 2 road trips April for 2 weeks & may for 2 weeks, really wanted to do this place. Oh hum. Maybe next year if its still about and worth a trip.
i hope so, Its was a very relaxing one, even took a pew and just sat looking about, i rarely sit down in old places.