real time web analytics
Report - - The Bowels Of Steetley, Hartlepool, September 2012 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Bowels Of Steetley, Hartlepool, September 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Renrutt

Turnerr
28DL Full Member
The Bowels of Steetley, Hartlepool, September 2012

Visited with goan and Bunk3r

So this is the other outfall (not The Den) on the beach at Hartlepool, outside the now demolished Steetley Magnesite site. For as long as any of us have known, this outfall has been sealed with a huuuuge metal gate, taunting pretty much anyone who's been to The Den or Steetley for that matter.

Late one night whilst checking out a few other leads, we decided to go have a look at this one to see if anything had changed. Bingo.
The gate was open just a tiiiiiiiiiny bit, enough for myself and Bunk3r to squeeze through, but without waders or camera, we decided we should return a few days later more prepared.

That we did, only to find that the gate was now totally gone and protecting the outfall was only 2 pieces of precariously placed heras fencing.

We had no idea what we'd find, but we knew it stunk. After a long rectangular concrete section, fighting on tip-toes in thigh waders to stop a breach with freezing cold sewer/sea water and possibly the odd crab if you're unlucky, the drain opened out into a huge room which must have held some kind of plant equipment or pumping station with a sewer over flow running through it. The place had been pikied, probably when Steetley first closed. All safety rails had been cut and taken away.

099sewer800.jpg

sewer09.jpg

sewer01.jpg

sewer04.jpg

sewer02.jpg

missing safety rails
sewer12.jpg

sewer03.jpg

We ventured down into the sewer toward the sound of rushing water, after a while we came to an inspection chamber with level sensor about 8ft up the wall, just before another chamber where the sound of water was coming from. Noticing there was some kind of gate on the entrance to this chamber and just passing a level sensor, we didn't hang around for pictures incase us passing the sensor had tripped anything. I only took one picture this far in.

sewer16.jpg

Feeling a bit more brave, myself and goan went back a few days later to find the outfall gate had been replaced with a proper sewage gate, the cage covering this was added a few days late.

002outfall800.jpg

Thats not to say it's not accessible ;)

Cheers for looking :thumb

E2a: Like The Den, this drain is VERY tidal and pretty much full at high tide, so be careful when choosing your time if you fancy a look.​

Last edited:

Thenightwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Has anyone tried the pipes that ran from the pier itself into the site from the embankment

Last edited by a moderator:

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Has anyone tried the pipes that ran from the pier itself into the site from the embankment

The pipes were just for pumping sea water into the large tanks on the site so doubt they would lead anywhere interesting. The pumps are located in the caisson at the end of the pier.

Thenightwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The pipes were just for pumping sea water into the large tanks on the site so doubt they would lead anywhere interesting. The pumps are located in the caisson at the end of the pier.
Yeah I used to fish off ther can't believe they actually took a section down but I'm going to have quick visit on low tide and have look around the two pipes on the beach

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I seem to remember this one, someone put a report up with pics of the site and the pollution in the tanks.