real time web analytics
The Braintree College of further education – Braintree –Essex – January 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

The Braintree College of further education – Braintree –Essex – January 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member

The History

Despite being built in the late 1950’s there is very little documented about Braintree College.

49336535737_ac794a57aa_c.jpg
49336535737_bd503e203b_c.jpg

It was originally a stand-alone facility but in 2010 merged with Colchester institute and became part of their group.

Now what can I tell you about Braintree College you may ask?

Well as a former student, gaining various B-Tec, City and Guilds and Emfec Qualifications in Engineering, welding and Car mechanics, I can tell you that Braintree College of Further education was a pretty decent place. I Think I spent a total of 6 years studying here on various day release and evening courses paid for both by my employers and by myself. I enjoyed my time here and had some truly fantastic teachers, some of whom I am still in contact with.

Aside from my good self the college spawned a few other notable pupils.

Some guy called Olly Murs was once a student here

49336318731_127b75fd01_z.jpg

But more to the point the almighty god given talent that was Keith Flint - May god rest his tortured soul - was also a student here.

49336318806_05fb4847d7_c.jpg
r

It is believed he may or may not have studied Pyromania. (Honest guv) He also purchased his first house in the same road the college is situated in.

A recent local paper article states that the older unused buildings of the college are soon to be torn down to make way for bungalows and a care home.

This clip I found on YouTube gives you an idea of the scale of the site

The Explore

So both myself and Rapid Ascent had our beady eyes on the tower block here for ages. Me since I was a student and RA for the last year or so. The local Facebook pages and the local paper have been talking about the college closing for some time now. I wasn’t until a few days before Christmas I happened to be this end of town and I noticed the Heras fencing surrounding the older parts and we started to discuss an umbox.

Now our original plan was to just climb the tower and have a sit on the roof and watch the world go by, that’s kinda how it started.

49335851268_5ec01730ca_c.jpg

49336321401_3c3db4b1e0_c.jpg

49336538577_a6aa034dd2_c.jpg

49336321106_fd47dd67f4_c.jpg

49336538127_bd7eabc914_c.jpg

But on our way back down from the roof we decided to have a nose about and found that it wasn’t as stripped as we had previously thought. Only problem was it was a little too dark.

The solution to this?

A day time visit. Only this time RA was at work so @Seffy drove over and joined me for a day time excursion.

The Externals

49335855998_e8014776ac_c.jpg

49335856518_7207f43cd1_c.jpg

49336541422_9ddc7edb5b_c.jpg

49335856518_de0339595b_b.jpg

Last edited:

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Nicely done - its always nice to explore a place that you have a connection with, albeit sometimes sad too. I remember when we did Frenchay I was like 'this is where I collapsed throwing up with a chrons flare up' 'oh and thats the endoscopy unit over there' o_O

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice one this. Love the write up, as said above its always good but sometimes sad to explore a place you had an affinity with. I know one of mine was like that.

I like the roof shots, amazing how quickly the sky changes, from clouds, to rushing clouds, to a nice starry night. Very nice. Also lots of reminders there inside the college, I bet that is stripped soon. Liked this :thumb

wicksy101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Pretty cool place this. Great report too. Might have to go down and practice my wood working skills in peace in a kitted out workshop lol.

Old Git

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Old accesses sealed now. Block nearest new builds belled up. Just a little heads up boys AND GIRLS

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 259) View details