real time web analytics
Report - - The Broadway Cinema, Bristol - September 2015 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Broadway Cinema, Bristol - September 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

END-PROC

Delta Infiltration
28DL Full Member
Explored with @WhoDaresWins

History

The Broadway first opened its doors in 1938 and seated 1,160 people. It was built as part of the Filwood Broadway development, a housing estate, planned to also include a swimming pool, library and shops.

The auditorium has two levels and a separate entrance and pay box at the rear of the building for the 'lower classes'. The building has been used for concerts and boxing matches over the years and from 1961 onwards it hosted bingo every Saturday that became increasingly popular. The cinema was sold in the late 1980s when it became a full time bingo hall up until it finally closed its doors in 1994.

Its original projectors and a selection of seats can be found in the M-Shed Industrial Museum. (one of the only reasons why I've been to the M-Shed)

Links

P1100159.jpg

Explore

I've had my eye on this gem for the few years I've lived in Bristol and its always been sealed tight! However, a few recces in recent months have shed some light in terms of possible access and after a pint or two we finally knocked together a solid(ish) plan! :D

We proceeded into the night, uncertain of our plans success while trying not to wake the sleepy estate of Knowle West. :sleep It was tricky and risky, but our efforts paid off in full!

We soon found ourselves on the stage, looking out onto the main auditorium / bingo hall which was in a sorry state. It became clear that work had been carried out in the building but I am unsure of when and why. Strings of work lights had been set up and there was documentation stating asbestos survey work had been carried out in the building in 2012, it looks like that was the last time anyone had stepped foot in the building.

P1100068.jpg

Despite the work carried out, we were pleased to find many of the original features and décor still in tact.

P1100072.jpg

P1100076.jpg

Original seating in the upper auditorium!​

P1100082.jpg

Although the projectors were long gone, one of the stands still remains.​

P1100088.jpg

P1100097.jpg

P1100099.jpg

P1100102.jpg

P1100115.jpg

P1100121.jpg

Fags and flat lemonade.. mmmmm

P1100132.jpg

The floor was a bit soft in places..

P1100135.jpg

The flooded basement. It looks like it was used to store kegs.

P1100137.jpg

An electric winch for the curtains to the left of an old stage door and a compression horn driver, no doubt from its early cinema days.​

P1100141.jpg
P1100144.jpg

Entrance and ticket booth for the lower classes (us) :rolleyes:

P1100148.jpg

P1100151.jpg

Really enjoyed this place, well worth the wait and I can rest easy now its finally ticked off the list!

Thanks for looking! :cool:

http://s73.photobucket.com/user/RottingInHell/Explorations/The Broadway Cinema/story

Last edited:

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
Really wish I had been in the country to do this with you! At least it's finally been done, good report laddy :thumb

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Sweet stuff mate, I know how much you've wanted to crack this one. Major Kudos, it was worth the wait!

crazyjonhere

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow you finally got in it then well-done buddy Miss your great plans on getting in places lol

fxckexplore

We all love a good corridor shot!
28DL Full Member
Really hoping this forums still active or the people on it are at least. Has anyone got any advice for getting in or is it luck of the draw?

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
We don't discuss that kind if stuff in public. It's not easy tho. I've had several trys myself.

fxckexplore

We all love a good corridor shot!
28DL Full Member
We don't discuss that kind if stuff in public. It's not easy tho. I've had several trys myself.

Yeah that’s sound mate I understand, if your ever going down to give it another go and wanna meet up and attempt it together I’m more than happy to meet up.

Seffy

SWC
Staff member
I think you’ll find it’s harder than ever now - they made some building repairs!