real time web analytics
Report - - The Camden Catacombs, London - February 2020 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Camden Catacombs, London - February 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mobicbear

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Canal Enthusiast and ex B.W. employee.
The water entrance was generally known as 'Dead Dog Tunnel', The image 6 with the skylights was part of the stables, and before the big fire
several years ago a couple of the shops in Camden Market, on the west side of the main road, used a fairly large part of the tunnels. I visited them in the mid 1980's each
year with teenage daughters. Can't remember the name of the shop but it had pounding heavy rock music, was very low light and much of the stock was flourescent
disco style T-Shirts etc. The big white building opposite was Associated Bread Company (ABC) bakery, then Gilbeys Gin Warehouse and then Classic FM. Further west along the
towpath there is a sealed steel door set into the wall. This gave access to engines that were used to haul the trains up the incline before the railway engines became more
powerful. Not been back for some years now but it was possible to follow the line of the tunnels from above, following the cast iron skylights.

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Canal Enthusiast and ex B.W. employee.
The water entrance was generally known as 'Dead Dog Tunnel', The image 6 with the skylights was part of the stables, and before the big fire
several years ago a couple of the shops in Camden Market, on the west side of the main road, used a fairly large part of the tunnels. I visited them in the mid 1980's each
year with teenage daughters. Can't remember the name of the shop but it had pounding heavy rock music, was very low light and much of the stock was flourescent
disco style T-Shirts etc. The big white building opposite was Associated Bread Company (ABC) bakery, then Gilbeys Gin Warehouse and then Classic FM. Further west along the
towpath there is a sealed steel door set into the wall. This gave access to engines that were used to haul the trains up the incline before the railway engines became more
powerful. Not been back for some years now but it was possible to follow the line of the tunnels from above, following the cast iron skylights.
Wow! you certainly know your stuff mate, glad to hear from someone with some proper knowledge about the place, that was a much-appreciated comment :) have you considered returning sometime?

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Banging shots mate, did better under the Morrisons car park time pressure than me! Love that last shot, judging by that you took an easier entrance than we did. Ended up wedging the canoe in between a floating platform that almost tipped over and a load of sludge - wouldn't be surprised if we reunearthed the 1854 Cholera outbreak.

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Banging shots mate, did better under the Morrisons car park time pressure than me! Love that last shot, judging by that you took an easier entrance than we did. Ended up wedging the canoe in between a floating platform that almost tipped over and a load of sludge - wouldn't be surprised if we reunearthed the 1854 Cholera outbreak.
Ahh mate, I went back a few months ago with @Seffy and @WhoDaresWins, was a proper ball-ache to do it without kayaks. Fair play on getting in there man, we deffo gotta meet up and hit a certain something very soon with @Sprackles ;)

chills

Queller of the uprising
When I started to read I genuinely thought you were showing the old stables in the Camden markets but I was wrong, that’s very nice that! Think I need to get a kayak!

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
When I started to read I genuinely thought you were showing the old stables in the Camden markets but I was wrong, that’s very nice that! Think I need to get a kayak!
Cheers matey, yeh it's one of the lesser-known spots for sure. Oh yes indeed, kayaks make things 10x easier for sure :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 782) View details