real time web analytics
Report - - The Cann Tunnels, Plymouth - December 2018 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Cann Tunnels, Plymouth - December 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lets keep going

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
The tunnel itself is 620 yards in length & was adapted during WW2 as a deep shelter for the workers of Devonport Dockyard complete with a bus stop outside one entrance to transport workers into the dockyard, also containing bays for an underground hospital, should the Blitz on Plymouth get so bad. This would have accommodated up to 3000 people. After the war it was used by the Royal Navy for depth charges. In the 1950's it was noted as part of a Central Register of Underground Accommodation.

Exploration
The tunnel itself took me by surprise, it just went on! I went during a fairly wet period of time which meant that the tunnel had its own stream going on, an extra feature I guess. It's a nice explore to do, not a lot to take pictures of since its a straight tunnel. There were a couple of rooms that led off the tunnel, but nothing major. The hardest part of the explore was the bats... Before this I never realised how much of a phobia of bats I had. So for anyone wanting to explore this place, WARNING the bats are awfully friendly.
When walking down the tunnel, there are a few occasions where we had to change levels, as in walking on the floor or the slightly higher wall, which deemed to be a challenge of dodging the water on the floor and not hitting our heads on the low ceiling.

Unfortunately, at the time of the visit, I didn't have my DSLR, only my GoPro, so pictures are shocking. Hopefully I'll go back to this place to get some proper photos.
GOPR1571.JPG
GOPR1572.JPG
GOPR1573.JPG
GOPR1588.JPG

Who has read this thread (Total: 176) View details