real time web analytics
Report - - The Chew Reservoir Syphon – Greenfield, Saddleworth - Sept 2015 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Chew Reservoir Syphon – Greenfield, Saddleworth - Sept 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Thundercat

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi, I'm the current United Utilities Headworks Controller for Chew reservoir and I found this report very interesting, thanks for putting it up. There is a reason the flow is on to the Swineshaw valley and is still used today , and that is to top up Higher Swineshaw reservoir at the head of Brushes valley in Stalybridge. As part of my duties I check the tunnel entrance and feeder streams once a week on that side of the valley and take water levels and the rain gauge readings three times a week. The flow to the Swineshaw valley is garvity fed, thanks

Yup. You've got not idea how envious I am of your job right now...:)

Man1c

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Spotted the Chew side the other day whilst out walking and was curious to find out more but didn’t have the time as was on opposite side of the Valley.
When I got home I remembered recently seeing your pictures of it on Flickr but not attaching the location at the time.
A little google brought me here. Nice read and certainly made me want to return for a closer look.

Jack Rabbit

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, I'm the current United Utilities Headworks Controller for Chew reservoir and I found this report very interesting, thanks for putting it up. There is a reason the flow is on to the Swineshaw valley and is still used today , and that is to top up Higher Swineshaw reservoir at the head of Brushes valley in Stalybridge. As part of my duties I check the tunnel entrance and feeder streams once a week on that side of the valley and take water levels and the rain gauge readings three times a week. The flow to the Swineshaw valley is garvity fed, thanks
Well you haven't checked it for a while, we were up there yesterday and the is a decayed sheep at the exit, it looks like it's been there for a few months.

StickFlinger

28DL Member
28DL Member
As of 10/06/2023, the Syphon is fully gated at the top end.
I'm guessing from it's condition it's less than a few week old... A traverse I'd been hoping to do for a couple of years 🤦😂

IMG_20230610_110150.jpg

IMG_20230610_110140.jpg

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Hi, I'm the current United Utilities Headworks Controller for Chew reservoir and I found this report very interesting, thanks for putting it up. There is a reason the flow is on to the Swineshaw valley and is still used today , and that is to top up Higher Swineshaw reservoir at the head of Brushes valley in Stalybridge. As part of my duties I check the tunnel entrance and feeder streams once a week on that side of the valley and take water levels and the rain gauge readings three times a week. The flow to the Swineshaw valley is gravity fed, thanks

As of 10/06/2023, the Syphon is fully gated at the top end.
I'm guessing from it's condition it's less than a few week old...

I think that answers that one eh?

Who has read this thread (Total: 148) View details