real time web analytics
Report - - The CO-OPerative Emporium Coventry | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The CO-OPerative Emporium Coventry

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Recently Myself and Turk have been hitting a few local sites after neglecting the near-by stuff over northern epicness...

When I was an apprentice I would change my gaze on the bus from floozeys and the previous nights homeowork to look at thebalckened tiles of the long closed Co-operative emproium, always wondering what it was like inside.

It was built in the 1930's, and screams that it was from every single feature. It stands opposite the 'general wolfe' pub, which was featured in the Special's movie '3 minuit hero'. In it's day the building would have sparkled more than any other in the street, with it's lettering glowing with the then very fashionable red neon. The store closed in the 1970's with the completion of a new supermarket.
After cloure the store was used to sell electrical goods, until it's final closure which allowed it to fall into dereliction.

It took 3 attempts to find a way inside, but there was one and what greeted us was worth all those years of waiting. The top floor was blessed with a huge stained glass skylight, suprisingly still mostly intact. Art deco features, although most of them were small were everywhere!

On the ground floor many televisions and hi-fi's were still stacked up on the sodden carpet. There was also a selsction of 'laser discs', which seem to have been the forerunner of DVD's!

Sorry some of the pictures are a bit dark, there were groups of youths speaking other languages that we did not want to catch us!

DSC_0183-6.jpg

DSC_0184-2.jpg

DSC_0180-5.jpg

DSC_0029-5.jpg

DSC_0031-2.jpg

DSC_0034-3.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0050-5.jpg

DSC_0051-2.jpg

DSC_0053-1.jpg

DSC_0055-5.jpg

DSC_0057-2.jpg