real time web analytics
Report - - The Crescent Cinema, Pontefract, West Yorkshire - September & October 2015 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Crescent Cinema, Pontefract, West Yorkshire - September & October 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Abandoned Cresent Cinema in Pontefract opened 2nd November 1926 and operated until it closed in 1993. Originally the Cinema had a 2 tiered layout with room to accommodate 1190 customers but this was later scaled back to a single level auditorium in 1971 with a reduced capacity of 412 as people flocked to the larger multi-screen complex in nearby wakefield. In order to accommodate the change the projector was moved into a new box built inside the roof void and as a result, a mirror system had to be installed to project the film down to the screen on the floor below. The lower level was sectioned off to form a bingo hall originally and later leased as a snooker club while a large space on the first floor was used more recently as a venue for a dance club. The cinema itself remains unused and complete with most of its features including the screen in perfect condition, the original projectors and lenses and most the seats.

Visited over 3 trips with various people too many to name. It’s not often I get a decent explore not too far from where I live so I jumped on the opportunity to see this fine example of a preserved cinema while it was open. It has since been secured and the owners are currently debating the future of the theatre with some suggestions that it may actually be utilised as a cinema or theatre space once again! For now enjoy the photos:

Crescent-1.jpg

Crescent-2.jpg

Crescent-3.jpg

Crescent-4.jpg

Crescent-5.jpg

Crescent-6.jpg

Crescent-7.jpg

Crescent-8.jpg

Crescent-9.jpg

Crescent-10.jpg

Crescent-11.jpg

Crescent-12.jpg

Crescent-13.jpg

Crescent-14.jpg

Crescent-15.jpg

Few more photos and higher res copies of the ones above on my website: http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/...efract-west-yorkshire-september-october-2015/

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice indeed....great pics :thumb
Cheers mate! Was interesting for me as I used to go here to watch films as a kid! Last one I saw there was Might Ducks lmao! I remember it shutting down sad times! Was nice to have some natural light in the theatre though that was unusual but welcomed as I am shit at lighting places with torches and light banks lol :D

projectionman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
brilliant report always nice to see projection room still equiped these modern digital projectors are nothing compared to the old westars and kalee machines

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
brilliant report always nice to see projection room still equiped these modern digital projectors are nothing compared to the old westars and kalee machines

Yeah cant beat these old ones! This one was in pretty good condition as was the smaller ones in the cutting room

Love it, looks like a great explore! Was the bingo hall area accessible?

I didnt know there was a bingo hall? Theres the snooker club but I think thats still live and a Dance hall that is also still live

Lovely pics.

Cheers :)

cazza

28DL Member
28DL Member
Brilliant. I drive passed it often. Wondered if there was anything left inside - now I know!